Web Scraping Proof of Concept Lead Worldwide
Scrapinghub is a fast growing and diverse technology business turning web content into useful data through use of our open source projects, such as the Scrapy web crawling framework.
We’re a globally distributed team of over 150 Shubbers who are passionate about scraping, web crawling and data science.
As a new Shubber, you will:
Become part of a self-motivated, progressive, multi-cultural team.
Have the freedom and flexibility to work remotely.
Have the opportunity to go to conferences and meet with the team from across the globe.
Get the chance to work with cutting-edge open source technologies and tools.
About the Job:
Your key objective will be to advance Scrapinghub’s knowledge of market technologies around web scraping to better understand how to harvest web data in more effective and efficient ways.
As this is a new, investigative team within Scrapinghub (rather than a production team) we’re looking for the right person to take the lead.
You’ll have a fair amount of autonomy over this, but it will likely include: Developing talent & maintaining a strong team culture, establishing & maintaining technical and quality standards, and collaborating with other Scrapinghub teams to ensure that your work is having the biggest impact possible.
- Groom the backlog of experiments and make the final decision about priority.
- Organize development into sprint-like iterations and maintain a regular cadence of execution.
- Liaise with other Scrapinghub teams to gather feedback and ideas, and to ensure that your team has the resources they need.
- Manage direct report(s).
- Regularly report on team goals, plans, and progress.
- Ensure that Scrapinghub has a whole benefits from your team’s work, via improved efficiency and effectiveness in how we scrape the web.
- A strong knowledge of Python along with a broad general programming background; strong problem solver.
- A hacker mentality to quickly produce proof of concepts in order to get results.
- Comfortable taking ownership and reporting regularly to the Senior Leadership Team; you enjoy being the “go-to” person.
- Demonstrable experience taking a logical, measurement-backed approach to prioritizing projects, and working with others that do the same.
- Familiarity with techniques and tools for crawling, extracting and processing data, asynchronous communication and distributed systems.
- Excellent communication in both spoken and written English.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience managing people
- Experience reporting on team execution and future plans; any kind of project management training or experience.