VP, Product Engineering Remote (US or Canada) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
1Password is seeking an experienced Vice President, Product Engineering to drive and scale their core and future engineering teams. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the VP, Engineering will serve as a key leader in the growth / scaling of the product focused engineering organization by championing best in class engineering through engagement and innovation.
We are seeking an inspiring technical leader with a passion for consumer products and a deep understanding of software development tools and processes. Leading expertise in cross-platform, mobile and desktop applications will be highly critical.
The VP, Product Engineering will need strong leadership, a hands-on style, and strong EQ coupled with a depth of software engineering experience within a growing technology organization. The ideal candidate is a customer-focused individual that can articulate a clear vision and strategy for implementing industry best practices and leading innovations.
- Lead the software development of consumer-focused engineering teams across mobile, desktop, web, and cross-platform technologies.
- Develop a high performing and passionate engineering culture. Attract, retain, manage and mentor a team of engineers with expertise across all relevant areas of technology.
- Leading and scaling the team to execute relentlessly toward goals, fast-paced deployments, and innovation.
- Guide decisions on technical architecture and strategy to ensure high levels of software scalability, performance, and quality while balancing speed to market.
- Develop a point of view on key technical issues and articulate vision in ways that will be highly valued by the company and technology community.
- Create strong development practices, standards, metrics and processes for development to ensure quality and performance standards are met and that lead to fast iterative development.
- Ensure world-class delivery by maintaining discipline around release cycles and internal product development processes.
- Champion a “test and learn” culture, where innovation and iteration is a central part of the overall technical strategy to deliver a seamless customer experience.
- Establish a balance of entrepreneurial spontaneity and innovation with the need to deliver high quality software on time and within budget.
- Partner with Product Management, Design & Customer Experience to ensure effective and scalable execution of new features, ongoing support of existing products and innovation of new technologies across all platforms (mobile and desktop).
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- Engineering Expertise: Experience as an engineering leader responsible for designing, developing, scaling, and supporting applications across desktop, mobile, web and cross-platform technologies.
- B2C Domain Experience: Experience developing and working with leading consumer-facing technology products, ideally gained in a SaaS or subscription-based business.
- High Growth environment: Experience operating in dynamic, high-growth and entrepreneurial environments; demonstrated experience transforming and scaling consumer product offerings.
- Team Leadership: Proven ability in building and scaling a highly cohesive and customer-oriented engineering team, with a track record of hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
- Mission Driven: A leader that helps 1Password build ownership, accountability and customer centricity across the organization. Active culture shaper; unquestioned integrity and ethics.
- Communication: Executive presence; ability to clearly articulate ideas to peers, teams and customers. An enthusiastic, engaging, and humble leader.
- Collaborative Leader: Fosters productive relationships, working in a highly collaborative manner and influencing across the entire organization; exhibits the highest levels of integrity, authenticity, and transparency.
- Hands-On Approach: Strong desire to be nimble and continuously strive to do more with less while raising the bar.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.