UX Research Manager Worldwide
GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This UX Research Manager position is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a UX Research Manager at GitLab, you will be responsible for guiding and leading a team of UX Researchers, conducting strategic research studies, while contributing to the direction of the GitLab product and our UX Research team.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With over 30 million users of our product, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Lead, mentor, guide, advise, and manage a high performing team of up 7 UX Researchers.
- Create an open and collaborative culture based on trust in the UX Research team.
- Set clear expectations and goals for UX Researchers while holding them accountable for success.
- Provide clear, actionable feedback and support to develop and grow UX Researchers.
- Demonstrate, explain, and teach others how to apply a range of research methods, understanding the balance and trade-offs between scrappy research and rigor.
- Occasionally conduct research studies. Your research should consist of a mix of problem validation, foundational research, and strategic research projects.
- Regularly sync with Product Management Directors to understand strategy, discover blockers, manage quality, and help ensure UX Research prioritization.
- Develop and utilize reusable research project prioritization approaches for UX Researchers to leverage within their own teams. Work with UX Researchers and Product in applying these approaches to ensure UX Researchers have a clear set of prioritized research projects.
- Actively seek out difficult impediments to our efficiency as a team (process, tooling, etc), and propose and implement solutions that will enable the entire team to work more efficiently.
- Exert significant influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of the UX Research team.
- Form a working understanding of the technology and features of the stage groups to which your direct reports are assigned, and have working knowledge of the end-to-end GitLab product.
- Evangelize research. Share user insights with the broader organization and externally in creative ways to increase empathy.
- Actively contribute to UX Research processes, documentation, and repositories.
- Engage in social media efforts, including writing blog articles and responding on Twitter, as appropriate.
You should apply if you bring:
- Expert-level knowledge in the field of UX Research with a significant amount of experience in hands-on research.
- A few years or more of experience managing UX Researchers or large research teams.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- A proven record of driving change through UX Research.
- Passion for the field of UX Research.
- Experience evangelizing research. You'll share user insights within the broader organization and externally in creative ways to increase empathy.
- Able to use GitLab to plan/manage work and update the company handbook.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability work to the practices we follow in Leadership at GitLab
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this UX Research Manager position typically follows six interview stages and one case study assessment. The details of this process can be found within our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/5474099002