Universal Code of Conduct Language Facilitators (20 hrs/week) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Duration: January 2021- June 15, 2021 (6 month duration)
Hours: 20 hours/week
The Universal Code of Conduct Language Facilitators will perform international coordination of our current universal code of conduct development work and facilitation of discussions on specific language Wikimedia projects.
You are responsible for:
- Engaging deeply the Wikimedia communities and affiliates in their languages by acting as a conduit for community ideas, questions, and change requests, talking to volunteers about ongoing work and how they can participate in it effectively;
- Building up and documenting a network of volunteers from communities, increasing the number of projects we can meaningfully interact with;
- Collaborating closely with other facilitators, volunteers, and Foundation staff, to ensure an inclusive process;
- Drafting, translating, and distributing invitations to participate in the consultation process;
- Providing knowledge about our projects, including but not limited to informing staff in the way our projects work, answering their questions, and providing advice on an ad-hoc basis;
- Monitoring Wikimedia projects for UCoC related discussions of major policy questions, recording feedback relevant to the process as well as emerging issues;
- Summarizing feedback relevant to the process comprehensively in the predefined formats;
- Producing a summary report of engagement in assigned language communities, and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced users of Wikimedia projects, capable of representing our community within the Foundation and vice-versa.
- Experienced facilitators of online conversations and decision-making processes.
- Strong communicator (both verbally and in writing), able to explain the ongoing work to different groups of volunteers with different levels of involvement in the movement.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal), and in at least one of the following: Dutch, French, Italian, German, Nepali, Polish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Korean, Yoruba, Urdu, Finnish, Russian, Spanish. Candidates with native fluency in English or other African and Asian languages will be considered.
- Able to focus on the larger picture, understanding, and able to express which concerns and views are widespread and which are marginal or individual.
- Approachable, and able to build trust with volunteers and staff
- Self-motivated - they will occasionally need to execute on ambiguous tasks with little supervision, bu in direct coordination with other facilitators.
- Strongly empathetic - they will excel at understanding the perspectives of others and bridging the gap between different approaches.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with multiple Wikimedia projects is a major plus; we are about more than just Wikipedia.
- Experience with code of conduct development processes in open knowledge or open source communities. You will be the main contact point for your communities and other stakeholders not deeply familiar with the subject who are looking for help in orientating themselves.
- Additional fluency in diverse languages
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/2439534