UI/UX Designer United States
Company: Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is looking for a UI/UX Designer with a commitment to helping organizations discover their users’ needs. As a UI/UX Designer with Four Kitchens, you will help uncover client pain points and objectives through qualitative and quantitative data. Your role will bridge the analytical and the creative, by designing digital experiences that are as approachable, understandable, & delightful as the real world. You will leverage best practices in design to explore, define, and test against client goals, and create design deliverables—mockups, wireframes, prototypes—to answer or solve those goals.
As a Web Chef, you will first and foremost exemplify our Core Values. You will also exhibit a natural curiosity and a passion for making really cool stuff for the web. We expect our whole team to self-lead and prioritize as distributed team members—your frequent communication and participation in company culture will be key indicators of your engagement at Four Kitchens. Being a constant self-educator is essential, so advanced degrees are not a requirement for this role as we believe that experience and passion are more important.
We’re committed to providing an inclusive workplace and building a diverse team. At our core we believe deeply in diversity and inclusiveness as being fundamental parts of a healthy team. We aim to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. So, if you look at our team page and don’t see yourself, don’t shy away. Come work with us!
As a UI/UX Designer, you will...
- Run workshops to discover the client's pain points and goals
- Improve a client's navigation through research, discussion, and tree tests
- Create and/or update taxonomies of large amounts of content
- Lead discussions on UX/UI problems.
- Conduct user interviews/research to confirm proposed solutions
- Enjoy talking to users to gather and test requirements and ideas. You know how to recognize ideas and solutions that bring the biggest value to them and have the biggest impact on their experience
- Illustrate solutions with wireframes or prototypes
- Design user interfaces and clean user experiences, for client projects
- Create top-notch visual designs of key pages using a component library which you have created
- Ensure projects follow accessibility standards
- Collaborate with developers to make sure designs work as intended
- Manage your own time and tasks while working within deadlines
- Stay up-to-date on the latest design trends, digital platforms, and best practices
You might be our next UI/UX designer if
- You have a minimum of 3 years experience as a UX/UI Designer
- You can provide a robust digital portfolio showcasing your UI and UX work
- You are adept at using modern design tools, such as Figma, Sketch, or AdobeXD
- You are an excellent written and oral communicator and can explain research outcomes to a wide audience
- You desire to work in a distributed environment, where all team members are remote
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely-knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have a generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have a great benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a good work-life balance, but we also participate in interesting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. Tell us about which of our Core Values resonates with you the most and why!
- Share a link to a digital portfolio showcasing your UI and UX work
Four Kitchens welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Four Kitchens is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.