Technical Writer North America or Europe
Part of the Web and Design group at Canonical, the Documentation team is responsible for keeping customer-facing documentation up to date, relevant and accessible. Creating documentation requires more than just written language skills; this position will challenge applicants to be creative problem-solvers, shrewd time-managers and to be able to work equally effectively on their own or in collaboration with others.
Key areas of accountability and responsibility
- Create documentation for experienced technical users as well as those who may be new to administering cloud & virtualized platforms. Documentation consists of installation and upgrade guides, system administration guides, release notes, technical papers, tutorials and knowledge-base articles.
- Collaborate with software developers, product managers, other writers, information architects, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers to develop documentation.
- Read design documents and specifications, install and use pre-release software.
- Create documentation designs, plans, and schedules.
- Curate existing documentation, performing periodic reviews, triage user feedback/bug reports and determine priorities for remedial work.
Essential skills and expertise
- BS/BA or equivalent in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience, with 5+ years of experience writing documentation for a technical audience.
- Ability to rapidly assimilate technical information from a variety of sources.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with command line UNIX/Linux.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a distributed team.
- Confidence in using Ubuntu as a desktop computing platform for all of the above.
Desired skills and expertise
- Knowledge of HTML, Markdown and other documentation technologies.
- Knowledge of video creation and production.
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure.
- Experience working with OpenStack.
- Familiarity with GitHub, Launchpad and other code repositories and collaboration tools.
- Additional language skills.
North America or Europe, home based.
Must be able to travel internationally for up to 3 weeks.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1156188