Technical Writer / Senior Technical Writer Worldwide
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Technical Writer at GitLab, you will be responsible for ensuring that the documentation for all of our products is clear, correct, comprehensive, and easy to use.
We are looking for great writers with strong technical proficiencies to help our users succeed with our rapidly evolving suite of DevOps tools.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect RSUs and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Continuously improve the GitLab open source documentation in collaboration with engineers, product managers, and others.
- Review and edit documentation for all new and enhanced features.
- Help developers and other members of the community who have documentation-related questions.
- Identify and address content gaps or the need for additional media such as diagrams or videos.
- Participate in reviews and revamps of section or page content and structure.
- Help review and triage incoming suggestions, corrections, and other content from the GitLab community.
- Help create and review UI text, such as field labels and error messages, in our product.
- Continuously improve the GitLab documentation site user experience in collaboration with UX, engineers, and other technical writers. These efforts might include the documentation site’s design, search, build process, feedback methods, SEO, visitor analytics, versioning, and other technical components.
- Contribute to the improvement of team process and style.
Senior Technical Writers will:
- Plan and complete large content initiatives, such as section reviews and revamps.
- Plan and lead documentation site feature enhancement initiatives.
- Work with UX Researchers and Product Designers to identify contextual content and documentation opportunities in the product.
- Mentor newly hired technical writers.
- Plan new cross-functional efforts.
You should apply if you have:
- Experience working with a docs-as-code workflow (we use Git with GitLab).
- Experience researching, planning, writing, and editing software documentation.
- Excellent skills in grammar, minimalist documentation design, and effective information architecture.
- Experience using the Linux shell and command-line Git.
- General familiarity with one or more coding languages.
- Excitement about our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency.
- Ability to thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
- Experience with some of the following:
- DevOps tools and open-source software.
- A rapidly scaling start-up environment.
- Remote work, especially in collaboration with others across countries and time zones.
If applying to a Senior role, you should have:
- Extensive experience working with a docs-as-code workflow.
- Extensive experience as a technical writer.
- Experience producing documentation for a variety of products and services.
- Some experience planning and leading major initiatives, such as the launch of new documentation resources, large-scale documentation reviews and revamps, and cross-functional initiatives.
- Experience establishing style guidelines and familiarity with documentation linting.
- Curiosity about how software works and experience testing beta features.
- Demonstrated use of data in evidenced-based decision making.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Technical Writer position typically follows five stages. The details of this process can be found within our job family page. Interested in a different perspective on the role? Check out this discussion (7m 56s) on our GitLab Unfiltered Youtube channel.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $75,000 - $165,000 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6333473002