Technical Support Engineer Preferred Austin, Texas
No two days are the same in Support & Technical Services. We engage in challenging problems to solve, constantly pick each other’s brains and our minds are always abuzz with ideas for helping our customers to make the most of their Ubuntu systems.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented professionals with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
Technical Support Engineers in Canonical will be accountable for providing an outstanding technical support experience to our customers. From problem qualification to full resolution, you will own and manage your cases over the phone, email and Web. Your duties will include providing technical expertise through excellent written and verbal communication.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu OpenStack technologies, Juju, MAAS, as well as general Ubuntu Server and Desktop issues.
- Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled as per our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Contribute new articles and maintain existing knowledge base articles.
- Provide leadership to other team members
- On a rotation basis, be available for on-call support out of office hours.
- Willingness to work weekends as required.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Capable of mounting a server in top of a standard datacentre racks.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years experience supporting Linux systems.
- Familiar with OpenStack, virtualization and other Cloud technologies.
- Advanced troubleshooting (up to application layer, including, core dump analysis and kernel dump analysis desirable).
- Demonstrable expertise in two or more of the following areas:
- Advanced storage (RAID, LVM, SAN, file system tuning, etc.)
- Advanced networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, etc.)
- Clustering, cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- CI/CD tooling
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc)
- Development level and troubleshooting experience in at least 2 programming languages like Bash, C, Python, GO, etc.
- Background check required
- Significant experience with Ubuntu. Must be able to understand Ubuntu OS bugs and advise on next steps, acting as a generalist when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English as a minimum.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Debian packaging experience and knowledge of Ubuntu development processes.
- Direct experience with MAAS and Juju.
- Familiarity with Open Source process and community practices required as well as familiarity with Open Source business model desirable.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems other than Ubuntu.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
Preferred location - Austin, TX
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1165062