Technical Director Remote /
Barrel is a creative and digital marketing agency founded in 2006. We are a remote-first team with members across the world and offices in New York City and Los Angeles.
We partner with the world’s most loved brands to scale and optimize their direct-to-consumer (DTC) businesses through brand, UX/design, technology/development, CRM/email, and marketing strategy.
Barrel specializes in the Fashion & Apparel, CPG Food & Beverage, Beauty & Skincare and Home Goods verticals. We work with clients including L’Oreal Paris, Gap, Barry’s, ScottsMiracle-Gro & Hu.
Barrel is looking for a Technical Director to lead the department and help our team build products that allow us to scale. You’ll manage our portfolio of products, develop new products to support new capabilities, and ensure all internal systems and tools operate securely and effectively.
To be successful in this role, you should be confident in managing a team of software engineers. You will oversee all software development plans from ideation to execution within given budget and timeline constraints.
Currently our team delivers amazing frontend experiences using webpack, ES6+ modular JS, VueJS/NuxtJS, Svelte, PostCSS, TailWindCSS, and more. Many of our clients' websites are built on WordPress and Shopify. While leveraging platforms like builder.io, prismic.io, and Contentful, you will have the opportunity to shape how we use innovative technologies to maximize our team's enjoyment, productivity, and efficiency.
- Hire engineers, coordinate their training, and foster their growth
- Grow remote and local development teams
- Oversee front-end and back-end software engineering teams and their projects
- Participate in shaping the technical design and architecture of the products
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems and tools to suggest improvements or create new systems
- Ensure compliance with data privacy and security regulations for software development
- Manage software engineering backlogs by assigning tasks to best-fit engineers, helping to set requirements for projects, establishing team goals, and setting engineering standards
- Design strategies for future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives, business strategy, and resources
- Implement innovative technologies that optimize for delivery, quality, team cohesion, developer enablement, and client satisfaction
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and tools
- Coordinate with other team leaders to align on typical approaches to software development
- Extensive experience with cloud technologies and modern human-computer interfaces
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development
- Good understanding of at least one major software development methodology from agile (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban) or non-agile (Waterfall)
- Possess strong leadership skills, including managing, coaching and mentoring a team
- Ability to think strategically to help drive client initiatives, while meeting business deliverables
- Excellent project management skills for building internal systems
- Bachelor’s or Masters’ degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar relevant field, and/or a combination of education and work experience
- Work experience as a manager or director, or similar senior-level position in a software engineering department with a minimum of 4 years experience managing a team
- Experience working with Shopify and WordPress
- Prior experience in an agency or with an eCommerce brand is required
As a full-time member of the Barrel team, we offer the following benefits:
- Remote Work
- Competitive Salary
- Health/dental/vision coverage
- Paid vacation
- Half-day Fridays all year round
- Remote home setup stipend
- 401k match
- Professional development stipend
Most importantly, we work on projects that truly impact our clients’ businesses and attract team members who love to be challenged with tough problems and fast-paced work.
Barrel is proud to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, culture, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, appearance, opinions, beliefs and more.