Technical Community Program Manager Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
TECHNICAL COMMUNITY PROGRAM MANAGER
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Technical Community Program Manager to join our team, reporting to the Manager of Developer Advocacy in the Technology department.
As the Technical Community Program Manager, you will be part of a multifunctional team supporting our global communities of Free and Open Source developers. You will work closely with our technical community and staff, and help run programs, events and initiatives to foster technical community and capacity building and a fun, inclusive and productive environment.
You’ll work remotely with a full-time distributed team, and need to overlap (UTC-4 to UTC+2) working hours. We are looking for someone who is comfortable working and communicating in a highly collaborative, open environment; is passionate about connecting people; and eager to develop a broad understanding of Wikimedia’s diverse technical communities, technical areas, and ways to contribute.
As the Technical Community Program Manager we’d like you to do these things:
- Support and help grow a vibrant and global community of technical contributors jointly with your team and others in the Wikimedia movement
- Provide project management for the Wikimedia Hackathon and other onsite or virtual technical events, including planning and facilitating collaborative program designs, coordinating with Event Production, and the large volunteer technical community
- Support or co-create initiatives to foster discussion, knowledge-sharing, technical community building and outreach for both enabling the existing technical community as well as reaching new and underserved communities
- Foster a welcoming and inclusive environment for new and experienced technical contributors from all backgrounds and timezones
- Talk with volunteers, teams and individual contributors at the Wikimedia Foundation to obtain an in-depth understanding of needs and requirements of technical contributors
- Be present in our technical spaces, and communicate widely and frequently with a wide audience of technical volunteers and staff via mailing list, IRC, wikis, and other venues
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a track record of modeling collaborative initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in project management for virtual and in-person technical events
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to understand and talk about technical areas and software engineering
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Creative and highly motivated to serve diverse, multilingual and international communities
- Willing and ability to travel several times a year for in-person events, once it is safe to do so
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Experience participating in open source, open data or online volunteer communities
- Experience in video or other media production
- Experience working with MediaWiki, or other wiki software
- Ability to read and write multiple (human) languages
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3371767