Staff Software Engineer, Storage - Segment United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer, Storage!
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to create high-quality, modern solutions to complex engineering problems and help define the future of Customer Data Platforms. Our mission is to help businesses unlock customer insights and make better decisions faster and cheaper by creating a suite of industry-leading storage and compute services inside the Segment customer data platform.
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and building a suite of storage and compute building blocks that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform capable of processing billions of events per hour and beyond. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
A glimpse of what we do within Segment Storage group:
- Improving Warehouse product by optimizing data loading process into cloud data warehouses like AWS Redshift, Snowflake and Google BigQuery
- Using AWS Step Functions at scale to power Segment Data Lakes product
- Using AWS Gateway API to build Data Lakes tooling
- Deploying segment services to different geographical regions for our customers (see: Regional Segment).
In this role, you’ll:
- Design and build the next generation of storage building blocks that enable internal teams and customers unlock value from their data
- Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services are multi-region capable
- Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
Some of the projects you would contribute to include:
- Enabling efficient storage and management of customer data to power products like Segment Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Orchestrating customer data deletion and suppression to ensure Segment and our customers are compliant to regulations like GDPR and CCPA
- Building systems that route customer data to Storage Destinations like Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Providing a platform to accelerate Data Science and ML use-case on top of existing Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Java, or similar languages
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Platform (GCP)
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Experience shipping services (products) following CI/CD development paradigm.
- Deep understanding of architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Have led teams, large projects, or owned and built an important, complex system end to end.
This role will be Remote - US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $200,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3988543