Staff Software Engineer - Operational Databases United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer - Operational Databases (L4).
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to enable scalable and efficient usage of operational databases (SQL, NoSQL, NewSQL) across all Twilio Engineering teams. Twilio operates at a massive scale (many billions of transactions per day) and operational databases are a critical part of our infrastructure. In this role you will define and execute on innovative approaches to enable best-in-class design, development and operations of operational databases, unlocking performance, efficiency and reliability benefits across the organization.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build software and design processes to help teams use databases in a way that reflects architectural best practices in order to improve database performance, efficiency and reliability as well as overall developer productivity.
- Evaluate/develop and evangelize new database technologies and approaches that will unlock benefits across Twilio. (e.g. client libraries/sidecars, utilities, ORMs, backup-restore tools, migration utilities, etc.)
- Participate in design reviews, office hours and educational sessions to help other engineers develop and improve their database expertise.
- Serve in an on-call rotation for escalation of emergency production database issues that cannot be solved by the respective product engineering teams.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Proficiency in traditional relational databases.
- Strong interest in learning other database technologies (e.g. NoSQL, NewSQL)
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Expertise in a major programming language (e.g. Java, Go, C++)
- Interest in mentoring teammates and collaborating across teams.
- Strong expertise in design of traditional relational databases including index design, partitioning approaches, etc.
- Expertise in query writing and optimization
- Expertise operating databases at scale (e.g. DevOps or DBA role)
- Expertise in a broad set of database technologies such as MySQL, DynamoDB, Cassandra & CockroachDB
- Experience functioning as a tech lead / team lead
- Expertise in collaborating across teams.
This role will be remote in the US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,000 - $200,000.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4292064