Staff, Software Engineer (L4) United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff, Software Engineer (L4).
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help us build and operate the next generation of enterprise-grade identity services that power security, identity and access management for all of Twilio’s products. You get excited by the idea o f having end-to-end ownership of services that process billions of requests per day. You enjoy iteratively delivering value to customers and you know that to take services to scale, requires developing a complex distributed platform from the ground up and are concerned with availability, throughput and latency. If you are a great problem solver who is super hungry to learn better ways of doing things and has a customer first mindset, we want to talk with you.
In this role, you’ll live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Sweat details and think long term in building and operating, high-scale cloud based systems and services.
- DRAW THE OWL: Solve ambiguous and complex IAM challenges spanning several quarters of execution and requiring collaboration with cross functional teams.
- EMPOWER OTHERS and WRITE IT DOWN: Collaborate with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers to help define, break down and prioritize work in partnership with the team. Be a point of contact for technical systems your team owns.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Advocate consistent practices for development, testing, operating and improving services.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- You have 7+ years of experience building resilient, high-throughput services and distributed systems.
- You are comfortable with asynchronous communications and multi-threading concepts and languages.
- You have experience with technologies like MySQL, Cassandra, Kafka, Redis, Memcached.
- You have a very strong understanding of REST APIs.
- You know that the code you ship is only as dependable and predictable as the tests you write.
- You have experience troubleshooting complex production issues.
- You love to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science related field is a minimum requirement.
- Experience with IAM protocols such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, SCIM
- Experience with security fundamentals like encryption, message signing and verification
- Experience with IAM cloud directory products such as Google Cloud Directory, or Azure directory services.
- Experience with Java and or Scala.
This role will be remote in the US. No travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $132,000 -$166,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3791811