Staff Software Engineer, Firefox Desktop Integrations Remote Canada
Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
The Firefox team is a community of engineers who care deeply about delivering the fastest, friendliest, most usable browser possible. We are responsible for making the things you see in the browser work securely, quickly, and well! The Desktop integrations team is a cross-functional team that focuses on updates, installs and integrating Firefox with different OS platforms. As part of the Desktop Integrations team, you will be responsible for all things related to OS integration (particularly windows And/or macOS) and helping us grow our user base.
Our team is geographically-distributed, and working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of desktop platforms - Windows, Linux, and macOS.
What is a Staff Software Engineer?
A Staff Software Engineer is the next level up from a Senior Software Engineer. At Mozilla this role can vary, but typically a staff engineer supports an engineering team, providing technical leadership, building cross-team relationships, and helping the team deliver on their objectives.
What You'll Get To Do
- Develop, innovate, and ship the next experience of Firefox features through installs, updates, and OS integrations
- Analyze data and metrics to invent new patterns to increase the user engagement during Firefox installation and update
- Investigate low-level operating systems programming issues and assist our other specialists with your platform specific expertise
- Assess what work supports the team and product roadmap and make insightful recommendations in regards to priorities
- Support management, peers, and others on team consensus and direction
- Work with experienced software engineers to further develop your understanding of the Windows and/or macOS platforms
- Improve the quality of Firefox on Windows and/or macOS by hunting down and fixing software defects, improving the experience of hundreds of millions of users
- Collaborate with other teams by providing code review and influencing the technical direction
- Work with a geographically-distributed development team
What You Bring
- You have experience with low-level systems programming on at least one major platform (Windows, macOS, Linux, any major mobile platform)
- You possess a solid understanding of C/C++
- You are an excellent communicator and have participated effectively on a distributed team
- You’re pragmatic about how to move things forward in specific time-frames including trade-offs and safeguards when implementing new functionality
- You already have development experience on Windows And/or macOS, particularly with low-level Win32/Cocoa API coding
- Experience working collaboratively with product managers, project managers, and/or other non-engineering teams
- You have programming experience in Rust
- Additional Linux, Android and/or macOS experience is a bonus, particularly with low level systems programming or operating system internals
- You have previously successfully contributed to an open source project
We value a variety of voices within our team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2040
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/mozilla/jobs/4674233