Staff Software Engineer - Backend Development Remote - India
Staff, Software Engineer (L4), Segment Storage (BLR)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Sources
Who we are & why we’re hiring
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building outstanding products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Segment is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to be a key member of the Cloud Sources, Storage organization with the focus on data engineering services based in Bengaluru, India. You will have an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. You will design and build data platforms and services, while handling our data infrastructure in cloud environments that fuels strategic business decisions across Segment. You will partner with other engineers and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self service tools. We are looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems using engineering and data, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering and a proven record of solving data problems at scale leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth demeanor, and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic and:
Be an owner
- Design and implement data management services for data trust, data compliance, data access and metadata management in the form of scalable and configurable while clearly articulating technical rationale behind your design and implementation choices
- Participate in Agile/Scrum activities including planning, standups, retrospectives; Provide point of view on user stories.
Wear the customer’s shoes
- Partner with data architects, product managers and other engineers to ensure they have the right information about our services and platforms while ensuring happy customers.
- Listen to your customers’ challenges, find opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time.
Write it down
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication - ensure that complex ideas, thoughts, and vision can be communicated simply and effectively. You are expected to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
Draw the owl
- You’ll build highly scalable platforms and services that support rapidly growing data needs in Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
What you’ll do
- Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- Build Segment’s Storage microservices, object APIs, and data pipeline in cloud environments.
- Design and build the next generation of storage software services that enable internal teams and customer to unlock value from their data
- Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services are multi-region capable
- Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical storage micro-services
What you’ll bring
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Java, Scala, or similar languages
- Deep understanding of architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- A proven grasp of Distributed application development and programming concepts
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructures such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Platform (GCP)
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills, a sense of ownership, and drive
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
We’re especially excited about candidates who:
- Experience programming in Go or Scala
- Experience shipping services (products) following CI/CD development paradigm.
- Have led teams, large projects, or owned and built an important, complex system end to end.
- Have built and run applications on public cloud infrastructure, particularly Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Are well-versed in deploying distributed workloads in an always-on production environment
- Have led teams, large projects, or the owner of a critical distributed system
This role will be based in our Bengaluru, India office.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4303518