Staff Security Specialist, External Communications Remote, Americas
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a member of the Security department at Gitlab, the External Security Communications specialty of the Security Analyst role work to increase visibility, strengthen community engagement and industry recognition of GitLab Security initiatives, programs and team members’ expertise through multi-channel campaigns and initiatives that include blogs, contributed articles, social media, online events and more.
Security Analyst, External Security Communications (Staff)
The Staff Security Analyst, External Security Communications reports to the Director of Security Engineering & Research.
Staff level job grade
The Staff Security Analyst, External Security Communications is a grade 8.
- Work with security engineers, analysts and leadership to develop ideas for blog posts, assist them as needed to create and improve the content and work with the editorial team to review and publish the posts.
- Ideate and execute multi-channel programs that showcase our bug bounty program, and recognize the hackers that contribute to it. (This could include blogs, social media campaigns, events, or custom swag)
- Develop new engagement strategies to grow community engagement and influence within the industry, including tactics such as developing twitter lists of key influencers and contributors, social-first campaigns, online contests and events.
- Monitor various platforms (twitter, hackernews, zendesk) for industry (security and marketing) trends and engagement opportunities.
- Work with social media team to develop social campaigns to generate awareness and visibility around department programs and initiatives. Write content as needed.
- Liaise across marketing to identify additional opportunities to showcase department programs and people.
- Support security releases by creating and deploying the monthly and critical security release email alerts through Marketo.
- Provide corporate communication with visibility into important department initiatives that should be amplified further through PR activities, or security events or incidents that could impact brand and/or customers.
- Partner with security team and liaise across organization to respond to incidents in a timely manner. This includes developing, reviewing/editing, gaining approvals and deploying clear customer communications across various channels.
Staff level responsibilities
Staff level responsibilities are inclusive of all Senior level responsibilities, as well as to:
- Develop and drive content marketing strategy aligned to business priorities and community engagement
- Lead multi-channel campaigns and engagement strategies surrounding GitLab’s bug bounty program
- Lead the development and implementation of security audience and community engagement initiatives
- Oversee customer and external response process for incident response
- Keep apprised of various platforms for trends, mentions and engagement opportunities
Staff level requirements
- 10+ years in an external communications or marketing role
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to take complex topics and communicate them effectively to a wider audience
- Strong cross-function collaborator
- Passionate about audience engagement and relationship development
- Experience working in the technology and/or security industry
- Detail-oriented, organized
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50-minute interviews with the hiring manager,
- Then, candidates will be invited to schedule 3 separate 50-minute interviews with 3 different peers from within the Security organization,
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 25-minute interview with the Director of Security Engineering and Research.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $114,800 - $209,100 for Colorado residents and $114,800 - $233,700 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6406624002