Staff Developer, Server Architecture Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information. We’re a kind, curious, and customer-focused team on a mission to build the world's most-loved password manager and give people more control over their data.
The Server Architecture team is responsible for the scalability and reliability of the services that power 1Password. We take care of services that process millions of requests an hour and databases that hold millions of people’s encrypted data. As an ever-increasing number of individuals, families, and businesses start using 1Password every day, we are looking for people who have experience scaling big systems to help us meet the challenge of growing even larger. Come help us build the backbone of 1Password!
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada, the UK, the Netherland and the US.
What we're looking for:
- A profound respect for user privacy and information security.
- Comfort in a role where you will influence the technical direction of your team and the engineering organization as a whole.
- Experience with following through on long-term projects that affect many dependent teams.
- A critical eye for detail while understanding that perfect is the enemy of good.
- Consideration for code quality with an ability to deliver appropriate and effective feedback to teammates.
- A willingness to make “someone else’s problem” into “your problem”.
- A desire to mentor and sponsor developers on your team.
On the technical side:
- A strong understanding of how servers and clients interact, API design, multi-service architecture, efficient database design, and experience scaling a system into millions of users and terabytes of data.
- Deep familiarity with MySQL - not just designing schemas and storing data, but also handling very large databases and configuring MySQL to get the most out of it.
- Experience working in Go, which is what we write our servers in.
What you can expect:
- To design, build, deploy, and support new and existing features in key areas including our server-side architecture, database schema and usage, and service design.
- To troubleshoot and fix bugs, and provide code and design reviews for your team.
- To write a lot of Go with robust unit and integration tests.
- To document the decisions you make when creating new features so the rest of your team members can follow along.
- To keep security and privacy front of mind in all aspects of your work.
- A collaborative group where the team succeeds as a whole. We understand that balance is important in life and deeply value our supportive and flexible work environment.
We strive to do our work asynchronously most of the time and jump on Zoom if needed. This workflow gives us great flexibility and creates an environment of freedom. That way we can get our work done in the way that best suits us.
What we offer:
Along with joining a connected, inclusive and passionate community you will be eligible for the following:
- Remote-first environment with flexible working hours to accommodate work-life balance
- Competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and RRSP or 401K match program
- Employee Stock Options Program
- Flexible vacation and time off including additional personal and sick days
- Wellness programs, Employee Assistance Program and an annual wellness allowance
- Paid parental leave programs
- Professional development and peer recognition opportunities
- Company swag and a free family 1Password subscription (and a discount for friends!)
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and when we say bring your whole self to work, we mean it. You’ll join a diverse and inclusive community, built on trust, support and respect. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love. As we continue to build our team, we welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken and veteran’s status. Accommodation is available upon request at any point during the recruitment process, should you require any please do let us know.