Staff, Database Reliability Engineer - Email Platform United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff, Database Reliability Engineer (L4)
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to build and operate database services for our mail pipeline. We do this by leveraging technologies like MySQL, Chef, ProxySQL, etc. We are looking to grow the team to help support and scale existing offerings and create new offerings through tooling and automation.
Our team manages the database lifecycle for some very large databases that are essential for Twilio mail pipeline.We are looking for a talented and passionate individual to help manage our world-class SaaS email delivery infrastructure. You will be part of a team that ensures the reliability and performance of a large and diverse data storage stack. You will directly engage with development teams to provide data-relevant advice and feedback, and serve as an information conduit back to other Ops team members. Additionally, you will continually improve the velocity of our deployment pipeline through automation and monitoring of data storage systems.
In this role, you’ll:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Develop tools to deploy, configure and operate relational databases in a large-scale environment
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues/blockers as a Staff, Database Reliability Engineer on the team
- BE AN OWNER: Perform thorough and thoughtful code reviews to help maintain high standard of code quality
- BE AN OWNER: Identify key system metrics and ensure adequate monitoring coverage for new and existing data storage services
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Work with teams across the company to troubleshoot/determine resolution for complex issues
- DRAW THE OWL: Be creative, take your own initiative and solve some of our most challenging problems
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Promote a DevOps culture that is driving massively scalable, highly reliable, resilient services in a fast growing customer and engineering focused company.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 8+ years of experience in your craft with demonstrated skill progression
- Proficiency with various relational and non-relational databases
- 4+ years of experience managing MySQL and RDS at a data-intensive environment
- Experience managing large sized relational and non-relational data stores in on-prem infrastructure as well as public cloud (i.e. AWS, GCP, etc).
- Ability to design complicated and reliable components and large scale systems
- Proficiency scripting or writing complex scripts with Bash
- Proficiency with one or more of the script/programming languages we use (Go, Ruby, or similar)
- Experience with Chef or similar configuration management tools
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and other orchestration systems
- Strong knowledge of Linux internals and computer systems (file systems, networking, memory, etc)
- Automation-minded; experience automating processes and administrative tasks
- A highly effective collaborator and leader, you work with your team and help drive team towards common goals
- Self-driven; take complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- Degree in Computer Science or similar experience work experience
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with Go
- Experience with Vitess at scale
This role will be located in our Denver, USA office (open to full-time remote). Approximately 0% travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $200,100
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4295484