Staff, Data Engineer L4 United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Engineer to be a key member of the Enterprise Data & Business Intelligence organization with the focus on data engineering services based remotely in the United States. You will be joining one of the first teams of engineers in our new Bengaluru office and as the early engineers in the Enterprise Data & BI organization in Bengaluru, you will have an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. You will design and build data platforms and services, while managing our data infrastructure in cloud environments that fuels strategic business decisions across Twilio. You will partner with other engineers and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self service tools. We are looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems using engineering and data, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering and a proven record of solving data problems at scale leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, and can collaborate effectively across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record in conceiving and delivering Data Warehouse solutions at company-wide scale.
- 8+ years of data engineering experience is a fast paced company that delivers software
- Knowledge of all phases of software development including requirements analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging, implementation, and support.
- A deep understanding of designing and building highly scalable Data warehouses and Data pipelines.Hands on Experience in PL SQL,Pyspark, Python , & Scala programming languages.
- Deep understanding of Apache Spark, Spark tuning , creating RDDs and building data frames. Create Scala/Spark jobs for data transformation and aggregation.
- Experience in building distributed environments using any of Kafka, Spark, Hive, Presto, Hadoop etc.
- Deep understanding of architecture and functioning of Distributed database systems like Snowflake, Presto and Redshift (any ) .
- Experience working with various file formats like Hudi, Parquet, Avro, ORC for large volumes of data
- Experience with one or more NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, DynamoDB is a plus.
- Strong understanding of engineering best practices and design principles
- Experience working in agile environment and iterative development
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with distributed, cross-functional teams
- Solid communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate your point of view
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience
- Should have excellent communication and presentation, strong analytical and problem-solving skills
As a Tech Lead, Data Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic and:
- Design, Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines and Data warehouse to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
- Develop set processes for analytics, data modelling, and data production.
- Collaborates with Data Architects and business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering educated decision making across the organisation.
- Implements processes and systems to manage data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key partners and business processes that depend on it.
- Writes unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, and documents work.
- Performs data analysis required to solve data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues.
- Works closely with a team of frontend and backend engineers, product managers, and analysts.
- Designs data integrations and data quality framework.
- Prepare accurate database design and architecture reports for management and Business teams.
- Execute the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions.
- Manage the system performance by performing regular tests, solving problems and integrating new features.
- Recommend solutions to improve new and existing database systems.
- Educate staff members through training and individual support.
- Offer support by responding to system problems in a timely manner.
CDaX (Corporate Data analytics & Infrastructure) is a central organization within Twilio that provides data infrastructure and related services in the form of data lake, data warehouse, business intelligence and data governance etc, that supports long term growth and sustainability. Our mission is to enable fact based decision-making by providing clean, governed, accurate data in scalable and easy to use systems in a timely manner. We play an integral role in shaping our business decisions that enable the company's growth and success and are the backbone of Twilio’s data driven culture.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located anywhere within the Columbia. This position offers flexibility to work remotely. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $116,312.00-$166,160.00
(Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3380193