Staff, Data Engineer - Email Platform United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff, Data Engineer - Email Platform
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to fulfill the critical role of a Staff Data Engineer within Twilio Sendgrid, to be both hands-on as well as a thought leader in creating, deploying and managing highly available, very large scale distributed systems.
Our systems sent 7 billion emails on Cyber Monday 2021 and we continue to scale! You will be a key contributor in one or more of these areas - Re-architect existing systems to scale further, build new product offerings that provide deep insights around the health of our customer's email program, build next generation integration platforms combining sendgrid tech stack with Twilio's existing platform.
In this role, you’ll:
- Be An Owner: Participate in technical decisions with your team and across your functional domains on large scale projects. Work with your team on initiatives/projects with operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response. -
- Empower Others: Help, guide, mentor and influence the team by sharing your knowledge and experience, in solving complex challenges. Actively remove oneself as a single point of failure.
- Ruthlessly Prioritize: Advocates for balancing between tech debt and feature development by collaborating with engineering and product.
- Wear The Customer's Shoes: Ship reliable features, at scale, that deliver the most value to your customers. You will partner with engineering and product to understand customers’ challenges, see opportunities, craft solutions, and lead the team to deliver the right value.
- Be Bold: Embrace calculated risks, while understanding the tradeoffs between technology choices.
- Be Inclusive: Collaborate with a diverse group of people with different backgrounds.
- Don't settle: Constantly look for areas of improvement in systems and optimize.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of experience building real-time data analytics, data ingestion, or data warehouse systems.
- 7+ years of relevant experience building highly available, scalable, fault tolerant and maintainable distributed systems.
- Understands importance of availability and reliability.
- Operational excellence focussed mindset: Understands value of monitoring with metrics and alerting. Knows how to build resilient systems that are maintainable for years to come.
- Hands-on experience in SQL and Strong experience with one or more of the following languages - Golang, Java, C#
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills. Ability to articulate and present vision to both technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of distributed databases such as SingleStore and Snowflake.
- Experience working with event streaming platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis.
- Experience with REST API design and implementation.
- Experience working on projects that are subject to privacy compliance regulations.
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Azure or other public cloud infrastructure platforms.
- Experience with DevOps or SRE, blending development best practices with operational excellence.
- Experience with container orchestration and other technologies: Kubernetes, Redis, Buildkite, Chef.
This role will be based in our Irvine, CA/ Denver, CO/ San Francisco, CA/ Mountain View, CA office.
This role will be open to US remote as well.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $220,110
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3922386