Sr. Software Engineer IV, Data Remote / USA /
Design and build Citrine’s scalable data infrastructure and AI platform powering the development and discovery of next-generation materials and chemicals.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2021 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group. We earned a spot on both the CB Insights AI 100 List and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. In 2021, we also gained our third patent for materials-specific ML technology. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. We have employees across the country including the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham areas, and our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
Projects You'll Work On
- The data platform for empowering scientists with Citrine’s AI, guiding experimental design to accelerate discovery and lead to research breakthroughs
- Ways to ingest and query data for the Citrine platform
- A system for sharing and managing materials data across an enterprise’s researchers, with the goal of fostering collaboration between scientists, reducing experimental waste, and aiding in the management of R&D projects
- Translating prototypes into scalable enterprise-ready solutions
What You'll Do
- Build backend services to support product features on the Citrine Platform that puts our core technology in the hands of scientists
- Deploy and support your software & infrastructure in production
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, frequently reviewing code and best practices
- Mentor other developers
- Design high-performance, scalable systems
- Test & analyze the impact and performance of your software
- Work in a multi-functional team on features from concept to delivery
Skills and Experience
- Scala: Experience with error handling, monadic constructions, cats library
- Advanced SQL and relational database skills (Postgres)
- Developer testing skills
- Experience with Java
- Experience working with complex data flows
- Familiarity with FS2, Akka, Slick
- Familiarity with containerization / Docker
- Experience with AWS Compute Services (EC2, ECS, Fargate, Batch, S3)
- Experience with production monitoring systems such as DataDog
- Studies have shown that women and underrepresented minorities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification listed. Citrine Informatics is invested in creating a diverse, authentic, and inclusive team, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with what you read above, please consider applying regardless!
Citrine Informatics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align to our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$145,000 USD - $180,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Life and Disability insurance
FSA and HSA plans
Equity options within the company
12 weeks of paid parental leave
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
$5,000 annual continuing educational allowance
Working at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
1. Assessing the Frontier: Active Learning, Model Accuracy, and Multi-objective Materials Discovery and Optimization (2019). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03224
2. Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
3. Overcoming data scarcity with transfer learning. (2017). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05099
4. High-Dimensional Materials and Process Optimization Using Data-Driven Experimental Design with Well-Calibrated Uncertainty Estimates. (2017). at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40192-017-0098-z