Sr. Fullstack Engineer, Data Science (Ruby on Rails) Worldwide
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This Senior Fullstack Engineer, Data Science (Ruby on Rails) position is 100% remote. The role will be under the Data Science section and in the Anti-Abuse team.
About the team: Anti-Abuse
Help us make abuse manageable. The goal of the Anti-Abuse team is to build services to help mitigate bad actors from entering the system, and tools to help identify and remove bad actors when they do slip through. Our products are written for everyone from GitLab employees to open-source users.
We’re constantly dealing with different attack vectors, and because of that, not only do we get to work in many different areas of the codebase, but also, there will always be something new to work on. If you want to write rules to capture a new attack vector one day and start a Rails and Vue.js feature the next, then this is the team for you.
Beyond the features requested from Product, the anti-abuse team also receives security related bugs, so come ready to tighten the screws. We’ve got an amazing security counterpart that helps us identify holes and makes recommendations on patching them up.
If the following things sound familiar to you: 2FA, trust scores, cryptomining, automatic banning, Captcha, we’d love to chat with you.
This team writes code in Ruby on Rails, Vue.js and Go.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of Anti-Abuse
- Play a key role in the design, implementation and integration of product features.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Test, deploy, maintain and improve Anti-Abuse service/infrastructure and software that uses these models
- Partner on changes with other teams including create, growth, and security.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment.
- Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Improve the engineering projects at GitLab via maintainer trainee program at your own comfortable pace, while striving to become a project maintainer.
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant professional experience in Ruby on Rails.
- Some experience in Vue.js or similar modern frontend frameworks.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Comfort working in earlier stages of product development.
- A genuine passion for learning.
Nice to have attributes:
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Experience developing in Go
- Experience in machine learning and/or anti abuse, or high interest in learning about one or both
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6025630002