Sr. Director of Strategic Initiatives, Social Impact United States
Because you belong at Twilio
Twilio’s social impact division, Twilio.org, is seeking an experienced leader to drive impact in our strategic focus areas. These focus areas are Crisis Response and Environmental Sustainability. This leader will build teams that innovate by using our company’s unique assets - our products, people, and funding. In this role, you will develop and drive the strategy and team, as well as ensure we achieve the vision and goals. You will determine which of Twilio’s unique assets are best suited to make an impact. In some cases, that will be determining the product market fit for Twilio’s products and developing that social impact market. In other cases, it may include tapping into Twilio’s deep connections with software developers. This role is highly entrepreneurial, creating outsized impact in Crisis Response and Environmental Sustainability using Twilio’s unique assets. This role will report to the Chief Social Impact Officer, who is also the GM of the social impact business unit and a member of the company’s executive team.
The Who, What, Where and Why
As the Sr. Director of Strategic Initiatives, you live the Twilio Magic and have experience in:
- Strategy development: Diving into a new subject area, understanding it, and crafting the vision and strategy that impacts more than one company.
- Technically savvy, and experienced with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, or mobility. Understand software and recognize areas of product integration, discuss product roadmaps, and engage with product managers.
- Leadership: Building and leading teams to generate high velocity, quality execution aligned with our aspirations. Securing resources to execute your vision.
- Stakeholder and executive engagement: Influencing teams beyond those that directly report to you. You’re a master at aligning strategic priorities across teams and other leaders to achieve your and others’ goals.
- Business development or community organizing: Driving growth by understanding the market, ecosystem, and using the company’s unique assets to achieve the goals of a diverse set of individuals, influencers, and businesses.
- Being persistent, even in the face of challenges. Also recognizing when to change strategic direction based on market and customer feedback.
- Working with social impact causes, public sector, or environmental issues.
- 15+ years of strategy, leadership, or operational experience
We’ve been investing in Crisis Response, and we’re empowering organizations to help millions of people in acute crisis each year. We’ve also invested in Environmental Sustainability, measuring our carbon footprint, reducing emissions from facilities and travel, doing ESG reporting, buying offsets, and exploring using our products to help companies reduce their emissions. This Sr. Director of Strategic Initiatives will define the strategy and build the team to take that Crisis Response and Environmental Sustainability work to the next level.
As a leader on the Twilio.org team, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE BOLD: This person will define opportunities to use our products, people, and funding to solve some of the world's most pressing social and environmental challenges. You’re comfortable setting big goals even when you don’t know exactly how to get there.
- DRAW THE OWL: You will unlock markets for impact and revenue that most have not yet undertaken. You’ll determine how to do things that haven’t been done before, and then build replicable playbooks or models to make it scalable.
- BE AN OWNER: You will own driving impact in Crisis Response and Environmental Sustainability. Oftentimes you’ll collaborate with other teams to accomplish your goals.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You’re a strong people manager. You’re energized by helping social impact organizations deliver more impact than they ever thought possible.
- BE INCLUSIVE: You include perspectives from a diverse range of people to ensure we build Twilio.org’s initiatives with the perspectives of those they serve
Twilio.org is the social impact arm of Twilio, led by the Chief Social Impact Officer who reports directly to the company’s CEO. The Twilio.org team works across Twilio’s unique assets - our technology, funding, and employee time - to improve the lives of over 262 million people globally per year! And we’re not stopping there - our goal is for social impact organizations using Twilio to help 1B people annually! As part of the team dedicated to social impact, you will lead two of our strategic focus areas - Crisis Response and Environmental Sustainability - that will contribute to how Twilio is strengthening our communities, society, and the environment.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is available in a U.S.-based Twilio hub office (examples: San Francisco, Denver, New York) or remote in the U.S. within 3-hours of Pacific Time. This person will work from home during the current pandemic measures. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$177,024.00 - $243,408.00
Rest of Colorado:
$165,960.00 - $228,195.00
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2639346