Sr. Director of Engineering, Consumer Trust United States
See yourself at Twilio.
Join the team as a Sr. Director of Engineering, Consumer Trust
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced Sr. Director of Engineering to help us build, manage and grow our global Consumer Trust engineering organization. At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Unfortunately, communications can also be misused by bad actors who attempt to game the system for nefarious purposes. Our Consumer Trust engineering team owns the user vetting, compliance and fraud prevention systems and services which Twilio and our customers depend on to prevent bad actors from causing harm to our consumers. As a result, we are always innovating and launching products and services.
As a Sr. Director of Engineering, Consumer Trust, you will:
- Lead and grow a globally distributed team of ~100 including engineers, engineering leaders, technical program managers, architects, data scientists and architects.
- Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability at scale.
- Be a key thought leader for the systems design and engineering plans and for our user vetting, compliance and fraud prevention systems.
- Enable rapid iteration and experimentation for product leaders to ensure we are able to deliver the best possible solutions for our customers.
- Foster and facilitate the career growth of your team through coaching and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, performing evaluations, and collaborating with employees on their objectives. Most of all, ensure employees are having fun with their work.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s products and services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- Be a leader of a critical part of Twilio’s senior engineering team and contribute to Twilio’s overall risk and authentication strategy.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the organization has clear direction and priorities related to performance metrics that track business performance.
- Inspire your organization by living the Twilio Magic.
We are looking for a leader who has a track record of leading successful distributed engineering teams with the following skills and experience:
- 10+ years of people management experience, including managing multiple levels of managers, architects and leading engineering teams in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong preference for expertise with building and shipping products for KYC, compliance, fraud / abuse detection / prevention.
- Strong preference for expertise with building and shipping data products with AI/ML.
- Highly data driven in decision making with clear understanding of good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them.
- Passion for engineering hygiene and operational excellence. Demonstrated experience leading an engineering organization that delivers on time with high reliability and quality.
- Ability to continuously improve velocity, reliability and quality through metrics-based tracking, coaching and development of engineering team members.
- Solid understanding of agile methodologies, continuous integration and test automation.
- Ability to distill complex and ambiguous situations into aligned priorities with actionable plans for your team.
- Ability to help your team understand and stay focused on the customer and business outcomes.
- Experience collaborating and aligning across multiple functions and teams like product management, sales, marketing, legal, customer success etc.to ship products and features.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent. You are able to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact.
- Organized, decisive, able to navigate the strategic decisions and dive into tactical details as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
This position will be remote or in a Twilio office if located near one, ideally for candidates located in the United States.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $248,320 - $310,400
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
You will also get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
What we offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including things like competitive pay, generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4525617