Software Engineering Manager, Platform Orchestration United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineering Manager, Platform Orchestration.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is responsible for leading and growing a team of talented engineers in Twilio Engage’s Orchestration team. We are looking for an outstanding Engineering Manager to join, and lead the newly-formed Orchestration team.The Orchestration team provides a global, scalable orchestration infrastructure that makes it easy for internal product teams to orchestrate complex workflows. In this role you will lead the re-architecture of Personas Scheduler and Orchestrator that enables scheduling and execution of all the Twilio Engage entities i.e audiences, computed traits and journeys.
Twilio Engage is the brand new growth automation platform, built natively on Segment as the customer data platform (CDP) and natively on Twilio’s communications APIs. Our vision is a unified platform that intelligently delivers the most relevant content to marketers through the best channel at every point in their lifecycle. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization.
In this role, as a Engineering Manager:
- You will be driving the engineering roadmap and execution of the Platform Orchestration team within the Personas Platform organization.
- Building a Strategic Vision for the Platform Orchestration team, including building partnerships with future internal customers, collecting new requirements, and working with the engineers on the team to design solutions.
- Guide the team through Agile methodologies and grow employees' career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential.
- Provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with product development leaders to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt. You will break down roadblocks, manage communications with stakeholders and dependent teams, and create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- Foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders by instituting development best practices. This ensures the team produces high-quality, well-architected, and supportable code through a continuous delivery model
- Own, operate and maintain your team's services with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process for the team.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruit and motivate top talent
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager or technical lead of a healthy and high-performing engineering team
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Detailed knowledge, and hands-on expertise in distributed systems and data-intensive applications
- Experience in leading cross-functional engineering teams to deliver essential business outcomes
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms
- Strong execution mindset with a vision to evolve the platform
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- CS, EE, or CE degree and a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
No mandatory travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080.00- $200,100.00.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4477250