Software Engineer - Messaging Platform United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and Programmable Messaging is its biggest product. To keep pace with evolving messaging platforms, we need strong engineers that can create innovative solutions as a part of our Messaging Powers team..
Twilio is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who has a track record of creating and operating highly scalable, stable and secure web services. The following are some of the core competencies for a candidate to be successful in this position:
- 5+ years of Engineering experience, developing and maintaining high traffic services.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of software development and best practices, especially with respect to web service implementation.
- Experience with the ins and outs of external systems integration, with defensive and hardened approaches to mitigate downstream issues.
- Technical leader and a mentor to junior members of the team.
- Some background of JVM languages (Scala is a plus, but Java experience is fine). Python familiarity is helpful.
- RDBMS design and best practices (we use MySQL, but anything related is perfectly ok). Familiarity with key/value stores is also helpful.
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch is awesome, but not strictly required.
- An unwillingness to settle for “good enough”, instead staying focused on longevity through well-tested code and continuous improvement.
- Past experience working in a distributed-first team and collaborating with a variety of engineer and non-engineer roles.
As a senior engineer in our messaging channels organization, you will live Twilio values by:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Own multiple services powering Twilio’s messaging services out of the box software features (Powers) and supporting infrastructure that enables developers to easily implement common use cases and achieve their business goals
- DRAW THE OWL: Design and develop elegant and scalable solutions across a wide variety of contexts, fronted with a highly available and responsive API guaranteeing 99.999% SLA.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all other engineering teams within Twilio and more specifically within other messaging teams to align on engineering architecture decisions.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. You belong here.
Messaging Powers team is located in San Francisco but this position is open to anyone in the US. You’re also welcome to work out of any Twilio office if you would prefer a local setting. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $109,824.00 - $137,280.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $96,096.00 - $120,120.00
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3200088