Software Engineer - LXD Americas, EMEA
Canonical's LXD team is looking for a Software Engineer to join its ranks.
This is a remote, home based position.
We are a small distributed team responsible for the development and maintenance of LXD, LXC and LXCFS as well as some amount of related work in the Linux kernel.
We normally put out a LXD feature release every month or so as well as maintain a couple of LTS releases for those users who don’t enjoy all those new features.
On top of developing LXD itself, we are also quite active at conferences and in the community, publicly speaking about what we’re up to and designing shared infrastructure with other projects and companies to benefit the growing container ecosystem.
Key Responsibilities as a software engineer:
- Design and implement new LXD features
- API backend work (REST API & bindings)
- User experience (CLI implementation)
- Integration tests
- Maintenance work
- Help our users (forum, mailing-list, IRC)
- Triage incoming bugs, help users debug issues and prepare bug fixes
- Improve LXD performance and scalability
Required Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with REST API design
- Solid programming experience in a major programming language (Go or C preferred)
- Database experience with a major database engine
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques
- Excellent logic, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a distributed team
- Degree level education in a technology field, or equivalent experience
Potential Interests to grow:
- Distributed systems (distributed sqlite database)
- System level programming (interaction with filesystems, networking and containers)
- Kernel development (filesystem, namespacing, performance)
- Public speaking at conferences
Travel to international destinations is expected for 1 week at a time approximately 2-6 times per year. This is for a mix of internal company events and conferences that the LXD team, organizes, attends or presents at.
Locations in the last year have included Brussels, Berlin, Vancouver, Edinburgh and Budapest.
Keywords: containers, lxc, lxd, ubuntu, home, remote, open source, travel, home office
Reports to: LXD Engineering Manager
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1433847