Software Engineer, Kernel - Home Based - Americas › Home Based - Americas
Are you an experienced Linux kernel developer looking for a remote work opportunity on a high-performing Linux kernel team? We at Canonical are focused on providing our customers the very best Open Source experience possible with Ubuntu products. As part of the Canonical Kernel Team you would help us regularly release fast, reliable well-tested kernels for a wide variety of Ubuntu Linux customer environments ranging from embedded devices and IOT, to desktops, laptops and enterprise servers to the world's leading cloud providers. We are growing our North American region and are looking for a passionate, experienced kernel software engineer to join us!
What You Would Do
Canonical's Linux Kernel Team is responsible for maintaining all supported Ubuntu Linux kernels, managing a growing list custom flavors of Ubuntu Linux kernels and tracking and driving the development of the upcoming Ubuntu kernel releases. You would be contributing through all stages of the kernel software development lifecycle, challenged to solve technical problems and expected to provide creative solutions. You can expect to quickly become an integral contributor by way of our supportive and highly-collaborative team working environment.
Job Location: Your home with broadband. International travel will be required.
Your Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Develop, review and apply patches in our kernel trees
- Perform patch back-ports to older supported kernels
- Maintain the Ubuntu kernel git repositories
- Diagnose and fix functional, performance and scaling issues in the Linux kernel
- Develop, automate and run appropriate tests for all your kernel changes
- Develop tooling and automation for the Canonical kernel team tool-set
- Deliver high-quality, maintainable software and documentation for your work
The Skills and Experience You Would Bring
- Well-organized and self-motivated
- Able to work effectively in a remote, globally distributed team
- Demonstrated proficiency in the C programming language
- Proven ability to effectively trouble-shoot the Linux kernel and subsystems
- Demonstrated Linux kernel and kernel subsystem development experience
- Linux kernel open source community experience
- Expert knowledge with git
- Comfort with Debian packaging
- Strong Python and Shell programming skills
- Professional software engineering experience
- Experience with kernel performance analysis and tuning
- Experience developing and performing software testing
- Demonstrated ability to grasp new technologies and acquire new skills quickly
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Canonical is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1761741