Software Engineer, Information Policy United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to develop the next generation of customer compliance services. This position will develop our policy and metadata access control modules. Our solutions are proactively preparing for rising regulatory policies and rethinking user privacy in the age of cloud applications and distributed systems. Data privacy and compliance is becoming more important to customers, consumers, and governments. We must evolve Twilio’s access management posture over the next several years: (1) internally to enhance employee access controls to meet the legal requirements of regulated industries and in key jurisdictions and (2) externally so customers can administer user access in order to meet their governance, customer, and jurisdictional requirements. Solving both are important to fulfill Twilio’s aspirations to become a more data-centric platform. The person in this role will address data protection and access by developing solutions around OpenAPI for our service mesh, data layer and methods of transmission that will be controlled through access policies (XACML). Reporting to the Director of Information Policy Management, this position is critical in helping Twilio solve challenges caused by a wave of data proliferation and fragmentation and gain control and visibility into sensitive and distributed data.
Twilio is looking for an SW Engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of delivering large scale service with terrific quality. They also have:
- 4+ years of software development experience. Preferably in backend software engineering. Understanding and experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies is a must.
- Databases. RDBMS design and best practices. Familiarity with key/value stores is also helpful. Kafka data pipelining would be a plus.
- Policy Platforms. You understand policy access control frameworks, may have worked on home-grown solutions as well as have experience in solutions like PlainID, Ionic Machina, OPA etc.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Some background of JVM languages. Scala is a plus, but Java/Kotlin experience is fine. Python familiarity is helpful.
- Cloud. You are familiar with cloud technologies and have experience in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end-to-end, including deploying and operating your services in production.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
As a platform expert, you will help make being compliant and privacy-first the easy thing to do across Twilio’s portfolio of customer-facing products and internal services. You will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop and implement a service on a cloud platform, providing data security and access control as a service -- features include integrating with a set of APIs and tools for cataloging data, interrogating an engine for attribute based access control, and auditing and reporting.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify, advise, investigate, and mitigate privacy exposures and risks in customer-facing products and internal/shared services. Your privacy and compliance knowledge, along with proven engineering skills, will serve as the technical foundation and advocate for privacy and data-access decisions across the enterprise.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Achieve Compliance-as-a-Service by driving adoption of standards and proven data protection mechanisms across BUs and extend to data collection, in-flight and post-flight processing, storage, and transfer processes. Utilize and advance continuous integration and deployment frameworks. Seek complex data issues and perform root cause analysis.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide product teams with the guidance and best practices to help protect user data and privacy and mitigate risk by leveraging shared data and security services. Collaborate with architecture and engineering leads to ensure quality solutions are implemented and engineering standard methodologies adhered to.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Drive code and architecture reviews as well as owning data protection risks associated with key production systems. Work across teams to resolve operational and performance issues.
The Information Policy Management team is central to Twilio's continued growth. We focus on building both the user-facing features and internal services that provide our user choices around their data, build trust by managing data risks, advance data privacy and security, and enable our business by unlocking revenue opportunities. We work closely with senior leadership and product teams to ensure consumer privacy and data protection through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, policy, and transparent communications.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Twilio has a distributed and remote-friendly office structure, thus the location of this position will be flexible. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Denver/Boulder Metro: $109,824 - $151,008
Rest of Colorado: $96,096 - $132,132
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3285705