Software Engineer II (Remote) Chicago, Illinois /
2022 Team Impact
Since first launching its product in late 2013, CareMessage has partnered with 400 healthcare organizations in 43 states across the country, reaching 10M+ underserved patients.
In the past two years, from the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic to today, the CareMessage team has risen to the occasion to support a 10x growth in our messaging volume, as well as evolving customer needs- from supporting COVID testing and COVID vaccinations, to filling immediate needs for patients tied to food insecurity and housing.
As a part of the 2022 CareMessage team, you can play a key role in helping improve health outcomes at a national scale for the most vulnerable patient populations.
Who we are looking for...
Are you someone who wants to do more than just code? What if your lines of code could power messaging to millions of underserved patients helping them access healthcare, food or housing? The CareMessage team is looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited about creating a world where all people, regardless of income or background, achieve equitable health outcomes.
In this position, you will play a key role in building and maintaining our web application. Your core responsibility will be to take substantial features from concept to delivery utilizing Ruby and React. Sample projects may include: helping improve our API to support our healthcare integrations, improving customer analytics to help them understand patient messaging trends, or optimizing the user experience to promote patient messaging strategies. It all depends on the most pressing problems our customers have!
Within 1 month you'll...
- Understand and follow the Engineering Team development's agile process
- Learn and follow CareMessage's coding standards
- Complete a demo of our features and have a working familiarity with their functionality
Within 3 months you'll...
- Learn the CareMessage product development process and departmental policies and procedures
- Understand the architectural design of projects owned by your team
- Be self-sufficient in completing your tasks and start contributing to your agile team's commitments
Within 6 months you'll...
- Participate in the technical design of features
- Be able to provide on-call support for your area including systems you are not familiar with
- Begin to focus on attaining expertise in one or more areas that drive value and impact within our engineering team (e.g., performance best practices, efficient use of data stores, etc.)
- Build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable application code
- Ensure the highest possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Collaborate with Engineering, QA, and Product to ensure we provide a high-quality user experience for clinic staff across our apps and ensure our product scales as our user base grows
- You have a few years of working experience in at least two roles using Ruby and React or similar technologies (We use Ruby and React)
- You have an interest in working remotely (Our engineering team has been remote since 2013!)
- You have a commitment to building and fostering diversity and inclusion within the teams you have worked with (We have a global team and you will regularly collaborate with people from a variety of walks of life)
This role is currently set at a mid-level role, equivalent to someone who has held a handful of Software Engineering-related roles in the past. Their scope of impact at CareMessage will be within the engineering team. Our salary allocation for this role is $120,000.
We believe in equal work for equal pay. All team members performing the same role at the same level are paid the same regardless of where they are in the world.
CareMessage is the largest patient engagement platform for underserved populations in the United States. We want to help create a world where all people regardless of income or background achieve equitable health outcomes. We power the care for more than 10 million underserved patients at over 400 safety net organizations nationwide who receive timely healthcare information, preventive care reminders, appointment reminders, local resources, and health coaching through interactive voice and text messaging.
Founded in 2012 at Stanford University, CareMessage has raised over $25 million from Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, Y Combinator, Schmidt Futures, and others.
Flexible work hours as a fully remote team
Generous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts
401k retirement plan
Short & long-term disability insurance
Paid parental leave for biological and adopted children
9 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
Paid time off & 1-month (20 working days') paid sabbatical after the 4-year anniversary
15 paid company holidays, plus a ~5-day mid-year break and a ~5-day end-of-year break
Employee Assistance Program
Budget for professional and personal development (webinars, online courses, books, and more)
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.