Software Engineer, Crisis Response and Prevention United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
As a senior software engineer on the Crisis Response & Prevention team, you will be on the forefront of Twilio.org’s effort to save lives with communications technology. The vision of the Crisis Response and Prevention Initiative is that one day, everyone who is at risk will get the help they need, right when they need it — and we believe that one of the most effective opportunities to realize this vision is by tailoring Twilio’s products to the unique needs of these organizations.
You will be a primary contributor to the critical communications applications being built on the Twilio platform to serve crisis response organizations. The team’s first major initiative is focused on creating Next-Generation 911 communications systems to improve emergency services across the US. You’ll be working on the integration point between signalling components that exist at our Twilio “edges” and specialized NG-911 telephony infrastructure, as well as on building new features for Twilio’s public safety communications platform. Other projects you may work on include addressing common communications needs that arise in a large-scale disaster, and delivering tailored contact center solutions to crisis hotline providers.
You will not only build new features, but also architect and design systems, create technical specs, and drive high engineering standards throughout the team through code reviews, automated testing, and mentoring.
Twilio.org’s Crisis Response team is looking for an engineer who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- 3+ years cloud application development experience based on popular JVM languages, building systems for scalability, testability, supportability, and maintainability
- Expertise working with SIP / VoIP protocols
- Energized by use of technology to create positive social impact
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to work in an environment with minimal guidance
- The ability to communicate well in person, on paper, and in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar experience
- A plus:
- Experience working with, or building for IMS networks
- Experience working with e911, Next-Generation 911, and/or building technology for the public safety sector a strong plus
- Experience building communication apps with Twilio’s platform
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities associated with nonprofits’ use of technology
- You like to dive in and work up and down the technology stack (back-end and front-end)
As an engineer for Twilio.org, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Relentless dedication to helping crisis response organizations achieve their missions through the use of scalable communications technology
- BE AN OWNER: Implement products built for crisis response organizations & be a primary contributor of high quality, well-tested code.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Able to effectively balance feature delivery for nonprofits with improving engineering velocity and promoting technical best practices
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with a team of fellow engineers within Twilio.org and across the broader R&D organization towards impact goals
For a person in a state of crisis, the right message at the right time can make all the difference. From a teen at risk of committing suicide, to a woman being victimized by a violent partner, communication can often be the lifeline needed to put people on a path towards recovery and stability. Twilio.org has cemented its commitment to serving communities in crisis with its Crisis Response & Prevention Initiative, which brings together product, funding, and people to help more people in crisis more effectively (crises include suicide prevention, substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, and natural disasters).
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers' experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2380843