Software Engineer, CELA (Legal/Policy) San Francisco, CA (HQ)
GitHub is seeking a Software Engineer to serve as a technical advisor and software developer on its Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team, which includes legal, policy, social impact, and trust & safety functions. This is a unique opportunity at GitHub to work in a small dynamic team, applying your technical skills to empower CELA to ensure an open, safe, trusted, inclusive, and compliant environment for developer collaboration.
GitHub CELA is an innovative team of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and with the business. The CELA team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, developer policy, and social impact. Like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub itself to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working from first principles, practicing kindness and helping make each other and the team better, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, excellence and rigor in our work, growth mindset and continuous improvement, cultivating a deep understanding of our products and services, intellectual curiosity, a passion for technology, and innovation in our practice. We require strong bias for driving results, and a commitment to prioritizing developer and customer trust in our platform.
- Serve as the primary technical investigator to the trust & safety team, supporting their diligence on complicated tickets, including in areas such as such as copyright, circumvention, and malware.
- Provide technical analysis and research to the public policy team, supporting their work to explain the impact of law and policy on developer opportunity, collaboration, and innovation.
- Serve as technical advisor and software developer to various CELA teams, supporting their technical investigations, CELA-specific software tooling and data needs, and open source projects.
- Collaboratively define and prioritize projects and tasks.
- Help drive conversations around technical issues and opportunities.
- Review code and participate in group discussions.
- Document the systems you help build.
- Collaborate with CELA, other GitHub teams, and, where appropriate, external stakeholders on all of the above, and lead consensus building and drive coordination with them.
- 2+ years as a full-time professional developer
- Technology generalist, with a demonstrated ability to quickly become conversant with unfamiliar programming languages, platforms, and technical communities
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Strong written communication skills
- A joy and passion for the interaction between law, policy, and software, including an ability to simply and accurately describe complex legal and technical scenarios
- A desire and ability to perform as part of a diverse and inclusive team, and to foster a spirit of diversity, inclusion and belonging across CELA
- Tailored cover letter and résumé
- Experience with technical investigations, policy analysis, or trust & safety
- Experience contributing to open source software projects
- Remote work experience
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/2582100