Site Reliability Engineer Worldwide
Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone, by creating fantastic software and providing excellent customer service. Collage.com is a 100% employee-owned, profitable, bootstrapped company with about 60 employees that has rapidly grown from $4 to $50 million in annual revenue since 2013. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Collage.com has appeared more than a dozen times on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and three times on “The View.” We’ve also appeared multiple times on the “TODAY Show,” along with mentions in BuzzFeed, Mashable, AARP: The Magazine, the Associated Press, and more. We are seeking ambitious, nice individuals to join us in our quest to bring great custom products to the world. Learn more about working at Collage.com.
We’re 100% remote
Collage.com is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy. Learn more in an op-ed our co-founder Kevin Borders wrote for MLive.com.
We are seeking a software engineer who is passionate about reliability and believes in advance planning to stop fires before they start, which is critical for our seasonal business. As the site reliability engineer at Collage.com, you will help define our strategy across the whole stack -- from AWS configuration up to the front-end application. You will establish processes and systems to help engineers test for reliability and performance, as well as live monitoring tools to detect problems in production.
We have a variety of monitoring systems already in place, but are looking for someone to push the envelope for detecting problems with Collage.com. We hope to find an engineer who not only keeps up with industry best practices, but can also develop custom tools to solve our hardest problems, like recording and replaying state changes in our custom application to track down difficult bugs. We look forward to you joining us in our mission to make our software fast and bug-free for everyone, all the time.
- Make decisions about Collage.com’s site reliability and performance strategy/roadmap.
- Own live monitoring systems across the entire software stack -- maintaining existing tools (e.g., CloudWatch, NewRelic, TrackJS, OpsGenie) and implementing new systems.
- Lead advance planning to prepare our services for handling 10x seasonal traffic (setting scaling policies, provisioning resources, doing load testing, etc.)
- Manage processes and automated stability/performance checks that the team uses to develop fast, reliable software.
- Triage and respond to alarms from our monitoring systems with the help of other engineers, and participate in an on call rotation during the holiday season.
- Write and maintain code throughout our tech stack, which largely consists of PHP and JS/TS (mostly React).
- Make decisions about code design, architecture, and refactoring to balance technical debt against delivering functionality.
- At least 2+ years of experience developing modern web applications.
- Experience focused on site reliability for high-traffic applications.
- Excellent planning and communication skills, including the use of spreadsheets/database queries to analyze and present data.
- Track record of getting buy-in and alignment when working on cross team initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- Prior experience in a start-up environment is nice to have.
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
The goal of our interview process is to identify people who will be a good fit for our company and are talented, motivated engineers. Because you will be working remotely, all of our interviews are done remotely. We look for candidates with good written and verbal communication skills who embody our company values (which can be found on our careers page).
During the interview process, you will:
- Speak to a member of our talent acquisition team which will be mostly an experience and values/culture fit assessment
- Complete a shorter technical exercise
- Speak with a senior member of our engineering team
- Complete a more complex technical assessment that is intended to emulate your actual work environment
- Speak with our back end architect
- Speak with our VP of engineering and both founders/CEOs of the company
We believe in transparency, and will give you the opportunity to speak with anyone else you’d like to meet before accepting an offer. You are making an important choice, and we want to make sure you are fully committed to joining our team.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/collagecom/jobs/5047456002