Site Reliability Engineer / Senior Site Reliability Engineer, US Public Sector Services Remote, US
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are responsible for keeping all user-facing services and other GitLab production systems running smoothly. SREs are a blend of pragmatic operators and software craftspeople that apply sound engineering principles, operational discipline, and mature automation to our environments and the GitLab codebase. We specialize in systems, whether it be networking, the Linux kernel, or some more specific interest in scaling, algorithms, or distributed systems.
SRE's with Public Sector specialization focus primarily on operating a large number of GitLab environments that are built to meet US Government, State, and third-party entity requirements.
As an SRE you will:
- Build: Automating every operational task is a core requirement for Environment Automation SRE. E.g. package updates, configuration changes across all customer platforms without interruptions, tools for automatic provisioning of customer facing services, etc.
- Maintain: Develop a good (early) warning system and system that allows for reliable and quick maintenance tasks, such as library upgrades, version migrations and similar.
- Plan: Develop monitoring and alerting systems that predict capacity needs based on the customer usage patterns. Plan for new service rollouts, expansion of existing services and preparing advice for customers to optimize their resource consumption.
- Respond: Respond to user emergencies, platform alerts and support requests.
- Enhance: Implement new, and update existing security measures for the protection of GitLab infrastructure.
- Partner: Act as Subject Matter Experts within the GitLab Infrastructure team when interacting with internal and external compliance assessors during certification and recertification of regulatory requirements (ex. FedRAMP, SOC2, ISO).
- Collaborate: Work with other engineering stakeholders on resolving larger architectural bottlenecks and participate by offering a large scale operational point of view. Work in close collaboration with software development teams to shape the future roadmap and establish strong operational readiness across teams.
You may be a fit to this role if you:
- Have experience with Infrastructure as a Code technologies, and libraries powering GitLab.
- Have experience with compliance programs, such as FedRAMP, SOC2, or ISO.
- Are able to reason about large systems - how they work and can be operated on a large scale, edge cases, failure modes, behaviors.
- Enjoy working with peers and collaborating across teams to deliver unique solutions to various technical challenges.
- Are able to leverage GitLab as your day to day go-to tool.
- Have experience regularly interacting with customers, and a focus on resolving their requests with a sense of urgency.
You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Projects you could work on:
- Develop, evangelize, and monitor the adoption of sound cloud security practices.
- Engage with US Public Sector entities to ensure successful implementation of GitLab services to meet Federal and regulatory requirements.
- Working from the team’s issue tracker, driving changes required to operate a large number of GitLab environments.
- Work on the GitLab core projects such as, GitLab Rails, GitLab Workhorse, Gitaly, etc.
- Work on projects that create deployment packages of GitLab such as, GitLab Helm Chart, omnibus-gitlab, etc.
- Coding infrastructure automation with Ansible and Terraform, and comfortable with managed Kubernetes platforms.
- Work on the GitLab observability stack (e.g. ELK, Prometheus).
- Interact with various cloud provider systems (e.g. GCP, AWS).
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $100,800 - $183,600 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6281839002