Site Reliability Engineer II/III Redwood City, CA / Remote /
Design and build operational systems and processes for the mission-critical services that comprise Citrine’s AI platform. Support and accelerate Citrine’s AI Engine team.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2021 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group. We earned a spot on both the CB Insights AI 100 List and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. In 2021, we also gained our third patent for materials-specific ML technology. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. We have employees across the country including the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham areas, and our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
About the Role
Working on the AI and Data Science teams in Engineering at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
Assessing the Frontier: Active Learning, Model Accuracy, and Multi-objective Materials Discovery and Optimization (2019). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03224
Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
Overcoming data scarcity with transfer learning. (2017). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05099
High-Dimensional Materials and Process Optimization Using Data-Driven Experimental Design with Well-Calibrated Uncertainty Estimates. (2017). at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40192-017-0098-z
- As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be working closely with internal teams to guide them in maximizing feature velocity, achieving high availability, and establishing SLOs across products and services
- Experience writing code in Golang, Shell, Perl, Python, Scala, Node or a similar language
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks
- Experience with DataDog, Git, Jenkins, AWS, and Terraform automation.
- Strong interest in SRE topics like SLOs, resilience, scaling, performance, and more
- Excellent troubleshooting skills encompassing systems, network (TCP/IP), and code
- Ensure sufficient logging and request tracing in a distributed environmentParticipate in on-call rotation with other software engineers: respond to production outages, conduct root-cause analysis, and modify software and documentation to permanently fix issues
- Ensure security at the system, network, and application levels to meet ISO 27001 requirements
- Participate in software system architecture and code review
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience writing software in a team environment
- 3+ years of experience as an SRE supporting production services
- 2+ years automating tasks in Python or other scripting languages
- Experience operating a production environment using AWS services
- Experience with Linux administration, including configuration, networking, and security
- Experience with service metrics and development of logging, monitoring, and alerting capabilities
- Experience debugging system, network, and security issues on distributed systems
- Clear and organized communication skills, and proven ability to collaborate effectively
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with Docker and container clustering technologies like AWS ECS or Kubernetes
- Production experience deploying and maintaining CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, CodePipeline, etc) and build code (Terraform, CloudFormation) in containerized environments
Citrine Informatics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align to our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$135,000 USD - $165,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Life and Disability insurance
FSA and HSA plans
Equity options within the company
12 weeks of paid parental leave
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
$5,000 annual continuing educational allowance