Site Reliability Engineer - Data Center (Traffic Systems) North America
GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Data Center team within our Production Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. You will help maintain our edge and internal traffic and service load balancers, design and implement DDoS mitigation systems, and help improve end user performance through expanding our global network.
The Production Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Design and implement global traffic management and DDoS mitigation systems with stringent availability requirements.
- Build performant and efficient packet processing systems for Internet and service traffic.
- Cultivate open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Work closely with networking and facilities teams to design and support our global data center presence.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience writing load balancing/traffic management systems in C/C++.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python and Bash.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance problems at the intersection of software and hardware.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Upstream contributions to the Linux kernel
- Experience with Arista EOS and/or Juniper Junos
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1138733