Site Reliability Engineer - (100% remote) Permanent employee, Full-time · Remote Worldwide
Company: Giant Swarm
Giant Swarm is a fast-growing open-source infrastructure management platform used by modern enterprises. Our vision is to empower developers around the world to ship great products. We are a diverse, fully remote (since 2014) and experienced team that is growing and spread across Europe - with a headquarters in Cologne.
- You maintain, operate and upgrade our own and our customer’s Kubernetes clusters.
- You will design, configure, build, and maintain our core infrastructure, from kernel parameters to the cloud provider templates.
- You understand how servers and systems work and you tweak their behavior to your needs.
- You will be responsible for our monitoring, logging and alerting.
- You will help resolve incidents on our own and our customer’s clusters.
- You participate in the on-call support schedule
- You are a go-to person in case our developers need advice regarding infrastructure.
- You will automate all the things, and the thought of Terraform doesn’t make you cry.
- We (and the majority of our customers) are currently mostly distributed around Europe (around UTC), thus, your main time zone should be somewhere between +/-2UTC to ensure better communication.
- You have deep hands-on knowledge of the inner workings of a Kubernetes cluster
- You must be able to configure all cluster components from the ground up with no automated deployment tools (think Kubernetes the Hard Way)
- You’re comfortable debugging systems at all levels, from kernel fundamentals right up to workloads running on Kubernetes.
- You’re happy troubleshooting a wide variety of issues and you’re not afraid to parse thousands of lines of logs in pursuit of an answer.
- You have good coding skills (preferably Go, but Python or similar is fine as well)
- You have experience with maintaining infrastructure with code and you know the pros and cons of various automation tools (We use Terraform & Ansible but Chef, Puppet and the lot is also a good start).
- You are fluent with Cloud Native Tools running on top of Kubernetes (prometheus, grafana, ingress controller, …) you know how to use them and how to configure them.
- You automate all the things by writing code. Using bash scripts makes you sad :)
How working with Giant Swarm is like:
Every new team member changes the team. We love to learn from each other and we are looking for people who know things we don’t.
Becoming part of Giant Swarm means that, by extension, you also become part of the Cloud Native community. We actively contribute to upstream projects and our quarterly hackathons will give you space to work on out-of-the-box projects. Occasionally, when we, as a team, want to fully focus on one project, we scratch all meetings and routines for a certain time to better focus during our hive-sprints.
Continuous learning is important to us - we foster this through bi-yearly personal development talks, a budget for training/certifications/coaching as well as regular feedback talks and workshops. Our teams are cross- functional and collaboration is key.
Nothing crazy, but useful Basics: We don't count holidays but set a minimum number; You choose your own hard- and software; As a company that has almost, if not more, kids than employees, family-friendliness is crucial to us and paid parental leave is a no-brainer; We pay monthly perks that cover your costs for working remotely; We meet twice a year as an entire company and (if possible) see conferences as an important place to catch up with team members; We aim to be fully transparent (finance, salaries) unless it hurts people and trust you, based on this to make the best decisions
We failed in exactly describing our way to approach important company elements that can be described with ‘buzzwords’ such as agile mindset, cross-functional teams, self-organization, value of the individual or trust & teamwork. However, we truly care about them, we live them and we constantly iterate on them. Some snippets about how we do this are posted in our blog but by far not all of them.
Important note: We are not hiring job descriptions. We hire humans. :) We welcome applications from everybody, regardless ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Vacancy page : https://giant-swarm.jobs.personio.de/job/180887