Senior Web App Developer Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 90,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information. We’re a kind, curious, and customer-focused team on a mission to build the world's most-loved password manager and give people more control over their data.
The 1Password.com web client serves a diverse user base, from individuals to small families to large multinational businesses. The front-end team works to help users share passwords and other secrets, recover their accounts, generate usage reports, set permissions across their team, and more.
As a Senior Web App Developer, you’ll work with our designers and back-end developers to build a fluid, responsive interface for new and existing features, helping others on your team learn from your experience along the way. You’ll also improve the scalability of the web client, from data visualization to defining APIs that can handle millions of users.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada, United States, United Kingdom and Netherlands. You’ll be working with a geographically distributed team, primarily located on the East Coast and in Europe.
What we're looking for:
- A background building large-scale web applications and proficiency in React, TypeScript, and other modern web technologies.
- Experience designing and maintaining APIs that scale.
- Proficiency with cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- An understanding of modern browser security policies and content security.
- Self-starting, self-driven: You should be comfortable starting your own projects, maintaining them, and doing it all autonomously. You maintain a high level of ownership, attention to detail, and have a knack for organizing processes using all three.
- Ability to offer feedback to other developers on the team and experience in reviewing and improving code.
- A passion for crafting experiences that customers love.
- Excitement to learn WASM, Rust, Web Workers, WebCrypto, and other modern technologies.
What you can expect in month 1:
- Review the tools and platforms that 1Password uses and get to know the team you’ll be working with.
- Become familiar with the web app's architecture, its major functions and limitations, and high-level goals and design.
- Develop an understanding of the app's build process and how to work in our codebase: TypeScript, React, ReactRouter, writing unit and integration tests, 1Password in-app messaging style, localization, etc.
- Take some small tasks from existing issues to production.
- Once a week, help our customers directly and help fix small customer-facing issues.
What you can expect in month 2:
- Take on larger issues: These will likely be issues where the effort is higher but the solution is already laid out.
- Begin filing new issues based on observed bugs or opportunities for improvement.
- Review others’ Merge Requests (MRs) in GitLab with a critical eye. Part of this will happen naturally by pairing with other members of the team before code gets to an MR.
- Become the go-to front-end developer for the major projects you’ve taken on.
What you can expect by month 3:
- Take the lead on a large dev cycle task. You will be responsible for determining the direction of the task and ensuring that the expected timeline is either met or adjusted as you learn more about its complexity.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team.
- Provide mentorship for junior and intermediate developers on the front-end team.
- Identify areas where we can improve not just our code but our development process and/or tools.
“We're a team of developers who are passionate about creating great software. We work on challenging technical problems with demanding security considerations using the best tools at our disposal, and are constantly pushing ourselves.”
– Rick Fillion, VP of Engineering: 1Password.com
What we offer:
Along with joining a connected, inclusive and passionate community you will be eligible for the following:
- Remote-first environment with flexible working hours to accommodate work-life balance
- Competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and RRSP or 401K match program
- Employee Stock Options Program
- Flexible vacation and time off including additional personal and sick days
- Wellness programs, Employee Assistance Program and an annual wellness allowance
- Paid parental leave programs
- Professional development and peer recognition opportunities
- Company swag and a free family 1Password subscription (and a discount for friends!)
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and when we say bring your whole self to work, we mean it. You’ll join a diverse and inclusive community, built on trust, support and respect. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love. As we continue to build our team, we welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken and veteran’s status. Accommodation is available upon request at any point during the recruitment process, should you require any please do let us know.