Senior Video Director NY
Company: Vox Media
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
The Verge is seeking a talented Senior Video Director to join our video team in creating thoughtful and dynamic non-fiction stories. Our video staff is part of The Verge’s editorial team; this is a job for storytellers and journalists above all. This position is based in San Francisco or New York.
The ideal candidate will be able to craft and produce cinematic moments while filming in a field or controlled studio setting, and will have extensive experience editing and elevating footage shot into clear and compelling narratives. Expertise in crafting stories into series and collaborating well with an editorial staff is a must. Experiencing producing a plus. We’re looking for strong makers and storytellers — people who have a passion for journalism and engaging in conversations about technology, science, entertainment, cars, politics, and design.
As a Senior Director, you will be a leader on our video tech team, developing and creating videos for YouTube, Facebook, and any new emerging platforms, and mentoring junior directors. The primary function of the candidate will be to develop, create, and elevate editorial series that enhance the brand of The Verge. This can include a variety of content types from short and engaging videos to long form deep dives. While collaboration with editorial is a core function of the role, it is also expected that the candidate will contribute to the reporting of stories as well. Enthusiasm, willingness to travel, an ability to juggle multiple projects, and initiative to kick-start projects in a busy work environment is a must.
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years of professional experience in directing, shooting, and editing digital video
- Background in nonfiction storytelling / journalism
- Ability to chase, own, and follow up on compelling stories
- Strong collaboration skills a must
- Expertise in coaching and growing on-camera talent
- Adept at balancing production needs for serialized content
- High end shooting capability and familiarity shooting with the C100, C300, and Sony A7s II - and passion for finding the next best camera system
- Experience with high level lighting in controlled studio environments
- Ability to operate stabilizing rig including Glidecam and MoVI/Ronin
- Expert in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop
- Strong interest in all of the Verge’s coverage areas
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, and produce both new series and formats for our current programming
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.