Senior Trust & Safety Policy Specialist Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Senior Trust & Safety Policy Specialist
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Senior Trust & Safety Policy Specialist to join the Legal team to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction - that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Senior Trust & Safety Policy Specialist will report to the Manager, Trust & Safety Policy. As part of its investment in the sustainability and well-being of its volunteer online communities, the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a seasoned peer group support expert who can help Wikimedia communities build peer capacity to equitably support community members in difficult situations. This position will be responsible for shaping and leading the Foundation’s contribution supporting growing community efforts and practices in the area. The Senior Specialist will be working in partnership with key community stakeholders, Community Development, other teams in Community Resilience & Sustainability, and the wider departmental team to identify and implement solutions improving our peer group support in collaboration with communities and appropriate staff within the framework of the Universal Code of Conduct.
As the Senior Trust & Safety Policy Specialist you will need a good understanding of what shapes thriving online communities, peer support best practices, especially with regards to users in distress. To address these complex problems, you will have to understand the social norms, technical possibilities as well as legal frameworks and how to work with volunteers from disparate backgrounds to encourage building a culture of excellent peer support as a shared social practice in communities. You are a seasoned social work professional and are able to co-design and support deployment of inclusive peer group solutions that serve diverse audiences.
You are responsible for:
- Leading Trust & Safety’s efforts to build and sustain independent volunteer peer support networks for stakeholders with high risk profile within the framework of the movement’s Universal Code of Conduct.
- Building relationships with Wikimedians, including key community members, around the world and leading the team’s collaboration with the affiliate groups relevant to peer support.
- Conducting research and compile reports on issues related to community resilience and peer support, which may include working to identify, develop, and implement policy solutions in collaboration with community, appropriate staff, and external organizations.
- Training team members in Trust & Safety processes related to peer support and related community governance workflows.
- Collaborating closely with other Trust & Safety staff in evaluating, processing and appropriately escalating inappropriate content and threats against the safety of volunteers or the public. This work involves coordinating with other staff in team rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage for emergencies. This work may include evaluating threats of self-violence or terrorism, or processing inappropriate imagery, including imagery involving minors.
- Collaborating closely with other Trust & Safety staff in investigating processing and appropriately handle online harassment and event safety cases.
- Collaborating closely with Trust & Safety Operations on relevant legal case support issues.
- Stepping into difficult discussions and situations when necessary to provide details and context to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and healthy communication.
- Keeping up with and reporting on key developments in the Wikimedia movement.
- Performing other duties as required.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience with peer support networks for vulnerable stakeholders.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills with an ability to communicate with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- Team player who cares deeply about his/her own work and also helps colleagues succeed.
- Strong critical and contextual thinking skills with a bias toward action in ambiguous situations.
- Experience and/or interest in online, international and multilingual communities.
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Resilience in dealing with difficult subject matter.
- Experience and/or training in project and people management (volunteer capacity applies) or mediation.
- Able to research and clearly report out to diverse audiences.
- Fluency in English and native command of another major language (for example Arabic, French, German, Hindi, Mandarin, Spanish or Russian).
- BA/BS or above
Qualities that are important to us:
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance
- Professional background in social work
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/2554168