Senior Technical Program Manager Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
- Drive projects and initiatives to completion across multiple cross-functional product teams
- Identify stakeholders and keep them informed of progress and blockers
- Manage sequencing of tasks, projects, and dependencies
- Increase team effectiveness using elements of Scrum, Kanban and other frameworks
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement
- Motivate individuals to follow through on team commitments
- Ensure that teams align their decisions with organizational goals
- Facilitate project planning, standups, estimations, retrospectives, backlog refinement, roles and responsibilities, and other team ceremonies
- Plan and lead team offsites
- Develop and support healthy team dynamics
- Promote a team culture that welcomes diverse perspectives
- Partner with Product Managers and Engineering Managers while also consulting expert judgment of the team
- 5+ years experience managing the release of customer-facing software from concept to production, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work across multiple teams and contexts
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Solid command of Agile principles and approaches
- Strong knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of project management including identifying stakeholders, defining requirements, work breakdown, crafting schedules, ensuring testing, and facilitating implementation
- Strong prioritization, organization, planning, and time management skills
- Experience with deciding when to pursue escalation
- Experience with using project management software (e.g., JIRA, Trello, Asana, MS Project, etc.) - we use Phabricator
- Fluent in spoken and written English, and at least one other language
- Ability build rapport with distributed teams representing various cultures and featuring different communication and learning styles
- A good listener whose people skills include servant leadership, empathy, diplomacy, and negotiation of needs
- Ability to build relationships and trust, influence without authority, and enforce accountability
- Detail-oriented with strong followthrough and an ability to keep the big picture in mind
- Ability to anticipate risks and resolve conflicts, particularly in an environment where many voices are present and decisions are often made by consensus
- Passion for process improvement & knowledge sharing and a focus on actionable iteration
- Experience working in an international organization that has a distributed staff, including experience with videoconferencing software and good practices thereof
- Experience working with volunteer communities, professionally or otherwise
- Passionate about open source products, free knowledge, and Wikimedia’s mission
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3274148