Senior Software Engineering Manager Remote - India
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior Manager, Software Engineering.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
At Segment, we believe in giving our customers control over all of the most important data for their business - customer data. It all comes down to one core belief: companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, without any fuss. This has been a core philosophy to how we’ve built our products from day one, and we’re excited to take this to the next level to fully realize this promise.
The Segment Storage organization is looking for engineering managers who are passionate about creating high quality, modern solutions to delivering complex engineering efforts and joining our focus to define the future of Customer Data Platforms. In this role, you will be responsible for managing and growing a team of talented engineers and collaborating with Product Managers to ship products that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform.
What we do in the Storage Org:
- Enabling efficient storage and management of customer data to power products like Segment Warehouses, Data Lakes, Object Cloud Sources
- Orchestrating customer data deletion and suppression to ensure Segment and our customers are compliant to regulations like GDPR and CCPA
- Building systems that route customer data to Storage Destinations like Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Providing a platform to accelerate Data Science and ML use-case on top of existing Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Enabling enrichment of customer data with data from various Object Cloud Sources like Twilio, Salesforce, Zendesk and many more
Who we are looking for:
- You establish credibility through the quality of your team's technical execution and ownership.
- You lead by example and care for your teams.
- You mentor and develop each employee to reach their full potential.
- You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented engineers.
- You have a rare ability to collaborate with and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- You know how to manage multiple projects and balance support & development for your teams.
- Be a thoughtful technical voice and support team in making diligent architectural decisions.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead our Cloud Sources and Warehouses team to build, deploy and manage our platform.
- Set the technical vision for your team and be accountable for team plans and deliverables
- Grow and develop an incredible team of hardworking and motivated engineers with individual ownership and impact
- Ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to make an impact
- Work with data and tools
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of experience as Manager of a healthy and high-performing engineering team.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages.
- Proven software engineering skills across languages such as Go, Java, Python
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- CS, EE or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing distributed systems at global scale.
Glimpse of what we do @ Segment Engineering:
- Using AWS Step Functions at scale to power Segment Data Lakes product
- Improving Warehouse product by optimizing data loading process into AWS Redshift
- Building ctlstore to improve the reliability of our core data pipeline
- Ditching microservices in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture.
- Performance analysis using eBPF (video) and how we use it.
- Efficient encoding/decoding package for various data formats
- Re-architecting Segment data pipeline to reduce infrastructure costs
- Building the right products and finding product market fit
This role will be based in our Bangalore office.
Approximately 10% travel is anticipated.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/4344425