Senior Software Engineer - Ubuntu › Home based - Americas, EMEA
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux system and software architecture. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. Applicants will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open-source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organizations.
Part of the Ubuntu Foundations team, you will work on the architecture, design and development of core components of the Ubuntu Distribution. You will be discussing design with other team members and mentor less senior engineers and participate in code reviews and design reviews. You will also be working with other teams to ensure architecture decisions improve the overall performance and experience of Ubuntu. As a member of the Ubuntu Foundations team, your work will have an impact on every aspect of the Ubuntu ecosystem from Desktop, Server, Ubuntu Core and also cloud images.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks a year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You have interest and experience with Ubuntu and Debian Linux - kernel or userspace, QEMU/KVM, system architecture and packaging
- You have professional C and Python experience
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.