Senior Software Engineer - Structured Data Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Senior Software Engineer
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a product software engineer to join our Structured Data team, reporting to product engineering management. As a product software engineer, you will be responsible for software engineering for our product user experiences. In this role, you will work in a mostly-remote environment, where we value teamwork and a consensus-oriented approach. You get to write open source code for collaborative experiences supporting over a billion users, and you get to do it at a place that believes we're all more successful when everyone has a good work-life balance.
You are responsible for:
- Improving the Wikipedia product experience
- Iterating on new products and features through collaboration with designers and product managers
- Creating and maintaining internet APIs with server scripting languages
- Instrumenting components to monitor feature and quality characteristics
- Leveraging caching and persistence technologies
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years related professional experience in functional programming or OOP
- Experience building user-friendly features and software components with good performance
- Focused software engineering: you enjoy writing unit and integration tests, proactively addressing security and code review feedback, and thoughtfully balancing architectural tradeoffs
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
- An emphasis on communicating clearly in both synchronous and asynchronous channels
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in one or more regional languages in Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Experience developing for markets in Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Practical skills with Vue.js or React
- Project work in data science, machine learning, AI (especially on natural language)
- A history of open source contribution
- Bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree in computer science, management information systems, or STEM field (or equivalent certification)
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/4513011