Senior Software Engineer - Performance Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an engineer with a strong capacity to cultivate and manage interpersonal relationships to join its Performance Team. This role will directly support the open-source MediaWiki application platform, serving the world's favorite encyclopedia to millions of people around the globe. We expect our developers to be proactive and coordinate with product managers and engineering managers.
As part of a highly distributed, worldwide, and diverse organization, you will collaborate with other engineering teams through an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. A big part of our work is devoted to collecting and analyzing site performance data to ensure that we have a holistic and accurate understanding of what users experience when they access Wikimedia sites. You can discover our dashboards by visiting the Wikimedia Performance portal.
Our team communicates solely in English, as a consequence, you will need to be comfortable discussing and solving technical problems in English.
If you are able to provide collaborative solutions for complex problems and enjoy the idea of interacting with multiple stakeholders in an empathetic manner, you might be just the person we need.
You are responsible for:
- Share in our organizational values, exemplified in daily habits.
- Maintain and develop a number of backend application components.
- Participate in early software design and review, guiding technical choices.
- Regularly review metrics, past incidents, and outages.
- Identify opportunities to improve performance, considering inputs and needs from other teams.
- Communicate across teams and roles in a global and asynchronous environment (don’t worry if you haven't worked remotely before, we’ll help you!).
- Communicate high-level timelines, blockers, and success criteria for your work.
- Mentor and support other engineers at the Foundation.
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience developing for the web.
- 2+ years experience developing and maintaining PHP, Node.js, or Python web applications.
- Familiar with observability and debugging tools (such as Grafana, Logstash, or DevTools).
- Able to be open and ask for help, and learn from your and other's mistakes.
- Able to change your opinion when presented with new evidence.
- Able to give and receive feedback in a constructive and honest manner.
Additionally, we'd love it if you have (some) of:
- Track record of open source contributions.
- Familiarity working with frontend performance measurements via synthetic/labs testing, or collecting RUM metrics (Real User Monitoring).
- Familiarity with backend infrastructure such as MariaDB or Varnish.
- Familiarity with distributed systems.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/4702944