Senior Software Engineer - Heart Services Remote - Asia Pacific
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We’re looking for a few software engineers to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
The Heart Services team is responsible for core features and services that are essential to the GitHub product. The challenge of this work is not for the faint of heart. Our team embarks on expeditions long thought impossible to bring order, stability, and harmony to the code base. Our work is messy and demanding, but also rewarding and valuable to all 40 million GitHub users.
Stack: Heart Services works in all parts of the GitHub stack, including Ruby on Rails, Docker, MySQL, and Golang.
A day in the life of a team Software Engineer:
Our team is fully remote and distributed across Europe, Canada, and US which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with engineers throughout GitHub to understand the problems we want to solve, exploring how we can solve them, and what our users have said about the problems and solutions so far
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering problems with engineering collaborators in GitHub Issues and PRs, Slack, or Zoom
- Opening a Pull Request to implement the next most important task, or fix the most critical bug and resolving suggestions in your code reviews
- Responding to issues and review requests from other teams at GitHub
- Reviewing your teammates’ Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Rotating responsibilities for oncall
- Pick new work autonomously and code solutions, working to unblock yourself when stuck either by reaching out for help or finding other solutions in an asychronous, remote, distributed culture
- Write clear documentation, tests, and recommendations for technical problems
- Collaboratively define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work
- Drive helpful conversations around technical issues and engineering practices, suggesting improvements and ideas as you see them
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback during code reviews
- Triage, reproduce, and debug issues reported by other coworkers for our areas of responsibility
- Give and receive feedback to grow yourself and the team
- Provide compassionate technical mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Deliver complex code/features with quality and supportability
There are only a handful of folks who meet all qualifications. We care more about hiring developers that have a track record of caring deeply about shipping software that helps people with their work than checking all of the qualifications off. So whether you meet all the qualifications or a partial set, either way, we want to hear from you.
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 3+ years experience as a full-time professional coder
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and/or Docker
- Familiarity with Git
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Experience building, operating and maintaining resilient, scalable distributed services
- Experience building highly available services at scale
- Experience with MySQL or Golang
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3123093