Senior Software Engineer, Git Systems Remote - US / Canada
Remote - US
GitHub is looking for a talented engineer to join our Git Systems group to help run the largest code-hosting platform in the world. Our group is responsible for the services that store and serve Git repositories, both directly to users and to other layers in the GitHub software stack. Come help us build a variety of externally and internally facing services, proxies, and control systems and maintain them in production.
The Git Systems group is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
Our senior engineers...
- Are technical leaders who break down work so that others can contribute confidently
- Show humility when they are right and have the confidence to admit mistakes
- Mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage growth of those around them
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback
- Are comfortable working asynchronously with a distributed team
- Triage, reproduce, and debug technical support requests, bugs, and feature requests
- Work with sophisticated systems and take pride in writing maintainable code
- Help recruit, interview, and generally make GitHub a great home for developers
- Plan, design, implement, and review the software that powers the distributed systems that support Git at GitHub
You may be a good fit if you have…
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- Been a technical lead on a team and built something you are proud of
- A deep understanding of at least one of: Go, C, or Ruby and a willingness to become proficient in the others
- Experience with network protocols and distributed systems
- Developed and operated production applications in a Linux or Unix environment
- Interest in or experience with Git internals and collaborating with core Git developers
- A consistent track record building and debugging highly available systems at scale
- Created or contributed to open source projects
Nothing in life is perfect including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/2178365