Senior Software Engineer - Edge Systems Remote - US / Canada
About the role:
GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Traffic Engineering team within our larger Data Center Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. You will help develop and maintain our edge and internal load balancing and caching infrastructure. You will also help improve end user performance through the expansion our global network. Nearly every byte in and out of GitHub’s network will traverse systems you own.
The Data Center Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
Edge Software Engineer
- Design, build and maintain core components of the GitHub stack.
- Cultivate GLB and other open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Work closely with our application, network, observability, facilities, and security teams to build secure, feature rich, and performant software in support of our global data center presence.
- Help to take your code to production, troubleshoot any issues that arise, and own fixing any associated bugs.
- Thorough understanding of Linux systems and network programming.
- Understanding of the core functionality of standard protocols such as TCP, UDP, HTTP, TLS, GRE, or DNS.
- Proficiency in one (or more) language(s) like Ruby, Python, or C.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance problems at the intersection of software and hardware.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Experience with git
- Demonstrated experience with technologies such as anycast, BGP, XDP, eBPF, DPDK, or P4.
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, or Puppet
- Knowledge of when and how to deploy web acceleration techniques (e.g. caching, persistent connections, network stack tuning).
- Experience using GitHub as a software development platform.
- Experience working as part of a geographically distributed team and in a highly available environment.
- Hands-on experience running services in a distributed infrastructure.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3400993