Senior Software Engineer - Community & Safety Remote-US
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub! We're looking for a senior software engineer to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on the Community & Safety team.
The Community & Safety team builds systems that empower maintainers to grow inclusive and healthy communities around their projects and encourage good online citizenship, while simultaneously discouraging behavior that is destructive or threatens the privacy or personal safety of our users.
Are you an experienced engineer with a strong desire to improve the open source community? Do you have a drive to help us shape the way the internet collaborates while wrestling with the challenges of scale, security, and code quality? If this sounds like something you’re interested in, please join us!
- Design, scope, and implement technical solutions that scale across multiple GitHub web applications
- Manage software projects that include stakeholders from a wide range of disciplines, including product, design, community support, legal, and policy
- Review features with other teams within GitHub to close potential abuse vectors before they are introduced into production
- Coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Provide compassionate technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- At least 5 years building web applications
- 2+ years of Ruby on Rails experience
- Experience with SQL and general database knowledge
- Experience with RESTful API design and/or GraphQL
- Solid knowledge of testing principles
- Experience in a professional role coordinating the activities of others
- Strong communication skills - you speak, and write, your mind well. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication
- Experience working remotely in a distributed company
- Experience contributing or maintaining an online community
- Experience as a technical lead on a software development team
- A strong desire to have a positive impact on the internet
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 36 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1682612