Senior Software Developer, Security Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 80,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information. We’re a kind, curious, and customer-focused team on a mission to build the world's most-loved password manager and give people more control over their data.
The 1Password.com service powers the 1Password experience across all of our platforms, processing millions of requests per hour. The 1Password.com group works on a wide range of projects including deployable secrets automation tools, our distributable CLI, internal and external integrations, developer tooling, account and user administration, billing services, and many more.
This position is in the B5 Security Development Team, a hybrid team that is focused on security, and building the best and most secure system possible. This team is responsible for developing security-critical features, performing reviews, triaging security issues reported by penetration testers or through our bug bounty program as well as developing fixes, and other similar work. Our goal is to constantly raise the bar for security, and we are looking for passionate developers to be part of that effort.
An ever increasing number of individuals, families and businesses are using 1Password every day, and 1Password needs to scale accordingly. Come help us build the backbone of 1Password!
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we're looking for:
- A profound respect for user privacy and information security.
- Comfort in a role where you will influence the technical direction of your team.
- Experience with directing the complete development lifecycle of a project from initial planning, through development, and into customer support.
- A critical eye for detail while understanding that perfect is the enemy of good.
- Consideration for code quality with an ability to deliver appropriate and effective feedback to teammates.
- A willingness to make “someone else’s problem” into “your problem”.
- A strong understanding of how servers and clients interact, API design, and efficient database design.
- A desire to mentor and sponsor developers on your team.
On the technical side:
- Experience working in any modern server-side language, with bonus points for Go (which is what we use). Demonstrate abilities in other server-side languages and we trust that you will learn Go just fine.
Even if you don't tick all those boxes, we'd like to hear from you:
- The most important part of this job is approaching new challenges with curiosity and the drive to fix root causes, not paper over symptoms. We provide mentorship opportunities to those who want it, and support professional development on the job, with a budget to back it up. If you bring a desire to do the right thing for our customers, a sense of ownership over the product you work on, and a focus on shipping quality code, we want to hear from you.
What you can expect:
- Working with various teams or independently on new features, security fixes, improvements, and hardening.
- Performing code reviews, with a focus on potential security issues.
- Providing guidance on the design and development of new features to ensure that they are built to the highest standards.
- Working with the development teams on security-critical features, implementing secure protocols, and other code that is important to the security of the applications.
- Developing specialized tools / automation for internal use.
- Identifying security issues, and providing recommendations to remediate issues identified by yourself or from penetration tests or bug bounty programs.
We strive to do our work asynchronously most of the time and jump on Zoom if needed. This workflow gives us great flexibility and creates an environment of freedom. That way we can get our work done in the way that best suits us.
What we offer:
Along with joining a connected, inclusive and passionate community you will be eligible for the following:
- Remote-first environment with flexible working hours to accommodate work-life balance
- Competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and RRSP or 401K match program
- Employee Stock Options Program
- Flexible vacation and time off including additional personal and sick days
- Wellness programs, Employee Assistance Program and an annual wellness allowance
- Paid parental leave programs
- Professional development and peer recognition opportunities
- Company swag and a free family 1Password subscription (and a discount for friends!)
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and when we say bring your whole self to work, we mean it. You’ll join a diverse and inclusive community, built on trust, support and respect. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love. As we continue to build our team, we welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken and veteran’s status. Accommodation is available upon request at any point during the recruitment process, should you require any please do let us know.